Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have limited knowledge in monitors (planning on changing that) and I was wondering if the below chap can please be identified? The photo is old I know, but I have been seeing more of these guys around and wouldn't mind knowing what they are and doing some reading up on them.

DSC02776-600.jpg Monitor.jpg

I'll say Varanus tristis. Head shape colour and markings on base oof tail wrong for a scalaris

I reckon it's a young freckled monitor Varanus tristis and a top looking little one at that

I'd go with tristis as well. Pretty impressed he/she was just sitting on your hand like that. Most young ones are skittish but tree monitors especially so

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Saximus, he may have been a bit exhausted as he was stuck in an inflatable pool and couldn't get out. But when I popped him back after his photo shoot he was quite happy to show me how fast he could get out of there.

Now, please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but here's a picture of an older specimen taken about 6 or 7 months ago

Attachments

• Spotty.jpg
    Spotty.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 208
I'll swap ya some textys for him SC?!....hang on, where not allowed to do that anymore:(.

Nice little beastie mate, thanks for sharing.

great find mate they must love swimming in pools up here as i found V. scalaris, Spotted tree monitor in my swimming pool a few months ago i check every most days to make sure there anit any casualties

I have to agree with V. tristis. That snout is too pointed and the head too thin to be V. scalaris. The scales between the eyes appear clearly different to those above the eyes, despite being out of focus. nathancl,thanks for the tip on the base of the tail differeing. I don't get to see any live V.scalaris and many of the photos look like V. tristis to me (often because you just don't get to see the head from the side on or even directly above).

What a magic little beast it is!

Blue

Thanks all for the replies. I have started seeing these guys around a bit more so will try get some more pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back