small monitors??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch_hynes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
are there any other small types of monitors other then Pygmy Mulga monitors, striped tailed monitors, short tailed monitors, rusty desert monitors and storr's monitors?? that would also be good for a first time monitor owner??

Ackies aka Ridge tails :D I wanted one :( Darn parents!

From my experience the two I mentioned aren't, my Ackie's however were psycho's though :)

Some wild ones

DSC_0036_edited-1.jpg
V. brevicauda (some dispute this)
DSC_0006_edited-1.jpg
V. acanthurus

Both caught same area, same day. Both pussycats, no agro at all.

I'm after one myself. Cant keep wild ones though.

This is the place where I found them a couple of days later after a mob of cattle were yarded there for the night!

Attachments

• DSC_0006_01_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0006_01_edited-1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Yea IV I went through Cogger a few days ago (again) and even though it's a bit north of their range, size and pattern seem to fit brevi.

DSC_0032_edited-1.jpg

At the height of the Wet there are 20 to every 100 square meters. Then a massive die off in the Dry. Wont say where or the bad people might go there.

Last edited:
Now my head hurts! You've got me looking through my refs; I don't have Cogger's bible, but I'm now going V.storri ocreatus (or primordius). But given how common...ocreatus. Most brevi's are much brighter and less spinous in the nether regions IMO. "spinous"?...see, I've been reading too much already.

Which one of the two that you found would you recommend and what are there common names haha

I've been looking too and I think im going for the gillen - pygmy mulga monitor

V. storri ocreatus for my eyes - dorsal scale type rule out primordius, and as per IV, spinous tail rules out brevicauda. They vary dramatically across the range and probably need reassessing too.

V. storri ocreatus for my eyes - dorsal scale type rule out primordius, and as per IV, spinous tail rules out brevicauda. They vary dramatically across the range and probably need reassessing too.

That would still be a range extension for ocreatus though, wouldn't it? I'm assuming Steve's pic was taken somewhere in Arnhem??

That would still be a range extension for ocreatus though, wouldn't it? I'm assuming Steve's pic was taken somewhere in Arnhem??

Nope, borderline arid/ tropics well south and west of Arnhem.

Mitch, sorry for the thread hijack. Any of the types recommended above would be good. They're not really dangerous.

Haha all good

- - - Updated - - -

ok how about this haha which one is cheaper haha

its v.storri like gecko dan said, 100% not a brevicauda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back