Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nir.n

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ackies monitors?

Hey everyone, for the last couple of years I was interested in monitors, one of the main things that stopped me from getting a monitor was their size. Right now and for at least the next couple of years I won't be able to take care of big reptiles. However, in a reptile expo last year I saw some ackies monitors and the owner told me that they only grow up to 40-50 cm. So those are my questions:
What other monitors reach those sizes?
What type of license do i need to keep them(I'm from VIC)?
Can they be handled? Are they extra aggressive and "show only"?
What is their price range and is there a breeder/s you would recommend?
Also any care sheets and tips are much welcomed(I found some but nothing equals to a first hand experience haha)!
Feel free to pm me :)
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
40-50cm is on the low end of average, many can easily get to 70cm or thereabouts in captivity.
Other monitors of around this size would be Black Head Monitors(my choice) or Storr's Monitors(average around 40-50cm). If you want something even smaller you can go for a Pygmy Mulga Monitor(25-30cm).
Pretty much all Monitors(Varanus) on taxa lists can be kept on a basic license here in Vic.
As young they can be handled, but as monitors grow they can become a little more unpredictable, not to mention their claws can do some real damage if they want to. That said some do take well with constant handling and can be quite tame as adults. Just never get too complacent around them.
Average price range for an Ackie/Ridgie or Black Head is about $300-$400.
Plenty of care sheets online, a google search will bring up a ton of pretty concise info on what you need for most monitor species.

Hope this helps buddy.

I would be looking at V.gilenni, V.storri, V.tristis and V.acanthurus (or anything within the V.tristis, V.storri and V.acanthurus complex). If you have your advanced than V.brevicauda (arguably the smallest monitor in the world) and if they are on licence where you are than V.Kingorum (they have a shorter STV length then V.brevicauda) the problem with V.Kingorum and V.Brevicauda is that they are certainly not a good beginner monitor and it's the same with V.kingorum. Not only that but you would be hard pressed to find V.kingorum for sale and V.brevicauda go for $800+. If I were you, best bet would be to start with either V.storri or V.gilenni. I can't remember if kingorum was on licence in VIC. V.gilenni, V.storri and V.acanthurus are (from what I have been told by other keepers) "good" to try to handle. From my experience V.tristis tend to be more skittish. I can't really say with the other 2 sorry.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the information! Got a lot of research to do :)
I did find info about it in care sheets but i want to hear your opinion, what terrarium size would be good for 2-3 ackies/black head(I got some mixed info from google and youtube haha)?

Thanks in advance!

Our three older ackies are about 25cm total length and we keep them in a 6 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft tank. But we usually go bigger with our reptiles lol.
Ackies are a great choice for a first monitor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well, i looked around youtube, google and the search option in this forum and just wanted to know which monitor would you recommend and why?
Right now ackies look abit more active then the black head.
And could you recommend places I can get ackies/black heads from?
Thank you for all the help!

Last edited:
Ackies are great and the breeder was correct most are around 45-50cm inc tail when full grown, not many actually reach the apparent average length of 70cm.

They seem to tame down/tolerate some handling as males, females are a lot more shy an flightly.

For an adult enclosure for a trio you would probably be looking at an enclosure around 1800x600-800x600-800mm, i currently have a 1 year old trio in a 1200x700x900 enclosure and i would say they are getting close to needing a larger enclosure already.

Rick

19143_275829481462_5648729_n.jpg

V. s. ocreatus get to only about half the size of standard storrs monitors, amazing little guys. Bullet proof animals but not common in the hobby at all.

The apparent 70cm would be extremely rare and most likely refer to the groote ackies, which are rare in captivity. You should be allowed to keep V.s.ocreatus under a basic license, they are a subspecies of Varanus storri, which is on your species list. I think ackies would be a great beginner for you, they come in many colour forms, and are pretty hardy. Freckleds are a good small monitor, if you don't mind a shyer monitor, the SE QLD form get about a storrs size unlike the northern freckleds which get about an ackie size and its relative the tristis tristis, about 60 - 70cm+. What appeals to you would be the biggest factor.

You can keep and there is quite a few ocreatus in Victoria. Orientalis is also well established in Victoria. Both on basic

Really? I thought they were? Is it the same case with V. tristis orientalis

You can keep and there is quite a few ocreatus in Victoria. Orientalis is also well established in Victoria. Both on basic

Orientalis are fine, but Ocreatus are on neither list of taxa allowed to be held in Vic, basic or advanced. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's not on the list you can't have it right? And yes I looked at the current taxa list, as you certainly wouldn't be able to keep it unlicensed(like some turtle, skink and amphibian species).
If you could find me evidence of being allowed to keep them I'll happily change my mind... Then dedicate myself to sourcing some!

I believe you but I always thought they were on license that's all. I prefer brevicauda anyway. They are the smallest lol well in the Varanus family anyway.

Does the list specifically state V. storri storri or does it just say V. storri?

You can keep them in Victoria. The list says Varanus storri, all the subspecies of storri including ocreatus and storri can be kept. It is the same deal as why orientalis can be kept. On your basic license you can keep Varanus tristis, orientalis is a subspecies of tristis so therefore can be kept. If on the list they only list at the species level then all subspecies could be kept perfectly legal. As I said there is ocreatus in Victoria and has been for a long time. So if you find any for sale and want them go for it you have nothing to worry about.

Sweet. I was gonna get a pair of V.storri but I think I might go with V.s.ocreatus. Lol. I would go with brevicauda but.. I don't have my advaced nor do I currently have $1600 for a pair.

You can keep them in Victoria. The list says Varanus storri, all the subspecies of storri including ocreatus and storri can be kept. It is the same deal as why orientalis can be kept. On your basic license you can keep Varanus tristis, orientalis is a subspecies of tristis so therefore can be kept. If on the list they only list at the species level then all subspecies could be kept perfectly legal. As I said there is ocreatus in Victoria and has been for a long time. So if you find any for sale and want them go for it you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks mate, that makes perfect sense and clears up the issue for me.
Now to find them!

I don't have much faith in the Vic taxa list to be honest, there are some pretty big blunders in it. Referring to water pythons as Liasis Mackloti is one that comes to mind, that can have a bag of worms consequence...

Small monitors

I have found striped tails monitors are easy to maintain as long as they have a hot spot and low humidity. I found they are easier to maintain and breed than bearded dragons.

- - - Updated - - -

Striped tails monitors are a good option. Easy too breed and to maintain. They breed like rabbits under the right conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back