Small Skink ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wread17

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking for an id on this little guy.

I think it's likely a lampropholis as it has 5 digits on both hands and feet but I'm not sure if the photo is good enough for an actual species id unfortunately. I'll put it on here at a large size, hopefully scales will be visible even if imgur is slaughtering quality. Photos taken in Mt Kaputar NP at an approximate elevation of 1300 metres.

ojRgT9P.jpg

Due to high quality of your photography, the diagnostic details are discernible, even on such a small skink. Very well done.

I’d reckon you’d be correct in assessing it as a Lampropholis species. You have stated both front and back limbs do have five digits. The lower eyelid is not fused and has a transparent disc. The nasals are widely separated. As for the species, there are 7 supraciliary, 4 supraocular and 7 upper labial scales. There is a pale dorsolateral line but no dark vertebral line, which would make it L. delicata. General colour and pattedrn, with coppery colour on the head, alignment of dark markings to form several indistinct lines down the dorsum and irridescent effect of dorsal scales support this.

Thanks for the detailed response Bluetongue. Interesting that it is delicata or even a lampropholis at all, I didn't know they reached this far west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back