Snake bite kit!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its quaint but don't use it. Current medical practice is to use a constrictor bandage only(wrap the entire limb tightly with a bandage, preferebly elastic), keep the victim calm (how?) and get them to a medical centre ASAP. In Australia they have kits that detect which species of snake performed the deed from spillage from the wound so it is best not to wash the wound.
Older remedies can prove dangerous. Sucking on the wound to remove the poison could introduce the poison into the helpers bloodstream via cuts and tooth cavities while cutting the wound to draw out the poison can simply spread it to other vessels.
If you disagree with what I have said here, immediatly post a reply. I'ld rather have a bruised ego than be responsable for spreading dangerous misinformation.

You are spot on Fuscus, I have on Aussie snakebite kit and that's basically what it says on the instructions.
That is the first half of your post, but the second half makes sense too.

I also agree with you Fuscus!
Like Jake had said "Well you dont see stuff like that every day"...
I only posted the link because I found it to be interesting that such an item was for auction on the site...

Please don't confuse my recommendation against using the kit as a objection to the post. This is a forum for discussing reptile related subjects and, well, we are discussing a reptile related subject. If one person has learnt one thing then this duscussion is worthwhile.

Australia they have kits that detect which species of snake performed the deed from spillage from the wound so it is best not to wash the wound.

I never knew they could do that. I guess this thread was worthwhile, to me anyway. John did you put a bid on that item?

Nah,Im not interested in the item itself...
I was only interested that such an item was actually for sale on ebay lol

The funny thing with the snake venom detector, some people are bitten by what the think is a venomous animal but in fact it's only a BHP - When they go to the hospital to get the test, the test shows up Spotted Mulga !!!

Fun stuff

i have been reading on some american sites how if you are bitten you should use an extractor kit. I guess it sort of sucks out the venom. Anyone know anything about tyhese??

I've done a bit more research on the venom extractor and found this paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=20506755
which states no noticable benefits but may cause additional minor truma. This is the only test I have found documented.
The extractor kit also includes a razor for enlarging the wound (not a good idea, as it may help the venom spread) and anaseptic wipes (again not a good idea, at least in Australia).
If you google "venom extractor" you can find more info.

Once I'm up on my soap box, I find it hard to get down. Sorry if I'm getting boring.

Another test at http://www.ucsfresno.edu/em/posters/alberts_snake_bite.pdf where volunteers were injected with radioactive isotopes found minimal changes in envenomation.

This first aid site http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/section23/chapter308/308a.jsp says the vemon extractor may help but gives no details (the site also says "Imported species of venomous snakes, found in zoos, schools, snake farms, and amateur and professional collections, account for about 100 bites/yr. Most victims are young males, of whom 50% are intoxicated and deliberately handling or molesting the snake." . Number are for the USA, total number of bites per year is about 8000.

If you don't want to read about animal cruelty then don't open this site http://www.apnm.org/campaigns/rattlesnake_roundup/ . Its kinda like a real-life wacking day but worst. It mentions the venom extractor in passing, saying "exhibitors" say it works but tests dispute it.

I have to also mention that there are a lot of sites that say how great the venom extractor is. They normally also have buttons labeled "Buy now" or "Add to shopping cart"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back