Snake catcher fed up by non-payers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Work Redbellybite!!

I am a professional snake catcher in Cairns and charge for my services. The charge is to cover running costs - I certainly won't be retiring anytime soon! I just wonder however about people who do not charge. Do they not have running expenses. The majority of my expenses are taken up by personal insurance, covering me for snake bite and animal attack. If any of these "non charges" get bitten or injured and cannot return to their normal day work, who are they going to get compensation from?
Another thing - although some say that they don't ask for money, do they knock it back if it is offered?? I don't think so;)
Finally - after doing some research, a fair number of "volunteers" in Cairns are completely unlicensed, hence are not required to complete the mountains of DERM paperwork or DM's. This then leaves not record of what is happening to these snakes, either being relocated into inappropriate areas, or just simply added to their own personal collection or for sale.

Not really all that good for the snakes either really (on top of damaging your buisness). And the people who call themselves 'snake hanglers' give you a bad name too right?

As part of a volunteer rescue group in NSW I am prohibited from charging the public for removals.
The organisation has on occasion arrange a contractual situation with with local councils and business.
Any volunteer in Cairns operating through a licensed rescue organisation is licensed through that organisation. If not then you should report.
There is no onus on the public or other organisation to make it work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back