Snake died after owning for 3 days. :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zookieboi

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this as I want other opinions.
I purchased an 18 month old jungle python about 2 weeks ago.
Went and viewed him, he was very skinny and I pointed that out to which the seller told me he was just being cooled and that he was very healthy. ( last feed was 3 weeks ago apparently)
I got him home and got him into an enclosure with a heat gradient of 28 hot end and about 20 cold end. He wouldn't go into his hide he would just curl up near heat.
I left him overnight and the next day and proceeded to feed him, he was warm to touch and was active. He took after about 8 attempts. Things seemed to be going well and 2 days later he regurgitated his food, I cleaned his tank thoroughly and gave him a Luke warm bath. Went out that day an when I returned he was dead :(
I took him to a vet and he took one look at him and told me he had been sick and that I should get a full refund. I told him all the details.
Now when it came to refund time I only got half back because apparently he was a healthy snake and because I fed him after only introducing him to heat 1 day prior. I'd like opinions please. Have owned jungle pythons for 5 years and never had a health problem.

All in all I've leant my lesson, don't buy a pet unless it appears 100% upon inspection.

28C hotsopot ? seems a little cold i would've bumped it up to 32 but thats my opinion,any photots of the critter? did you get an autopsy?, sorry for your loss

Get a letter from the vet and show it to the breeder/seller .... With a letter from your solicitor.
But yeah lesson learnt... It's often safer to buy hatchlings as they are being sold to make room. I often question why someone is selling older animals. Not that most sales aren't legit, just that I rarely part with anything I've had for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the vet said the snake was sick, then the snake must have been sick.

i dont understand how it ate 3 weeks ago if its just been cooled,....

The snake clearly had a serious health issue. Even after 4-5 months cooling, healthy animals rarely lose any discernible condition. The regurg after feeding sounds suspect, so I would be absolutely sure to sterilise everything that the snake came into contact with - the prospect of it having one of the snake viruses is quite high I would say. You are certainly within your rights to expect a full refund, although you did comment on the poor condition, so the seller could say you knew what you were getting. An ethical seller would give you all your money back, no questions asked.

Never buy an animal that looks suspect, even to try and save its life - you're asking for trouble and may introduce something very nasty to your established animals

Jamie

Since people are required to be licensed to own or sell reptiles, wouldn't the regulatory body in your state be interested to know that someone is selling diseased animals? or don't they care?

People do bad things because they think they can get away with it. That can only happen if people do nothing to stop them.

As Snowman stated, if the vet can substantiate that the animal in question was indeed ill for a period of time longer than your ownership, you should be refunded the full purchase price.

I would revisit the seller, this time with two of your meanest looking mates for moral support, show him the Vets letter and restate your case, firmly but politely. Make sure you let him know, again firmly and politely that you will take the matter to higher authorities if the issue can not be resolved.

However, if you have already accepted some money as compensation for the death of the animal, legally you may have already closed the door on any further compensation.

I understand you will need to report the death to the licensing body. Under cause I would put ''Sold already diseased animal from breeder''

But I am nasty like that.

Last edited:
buy from a reputable seller, your first clue should of been the size of the snake and it sucks but if you buy from a reputable seller you will go along way to having a healthy animal and saving your money...

Since people are required to be licensed to own or sell reptiles, wouldn't the regulatory body in your state be interested to know that someone is selling diseased animals? or don't they care?

People do bad things because they think they can get away with it. That can only happen if people do nothing to stop them.

As Snowman stated, if the vet can substantiate that the animal in question was indeed ill for a period of time longer than your ownership, you should be refunded the full purchase price.

I would revisit the seller, this time with two of your meanest looking mates for moral support, show him the Vets letter and restate your case, firmly but politely. Make sure you let him know, again firmly and politely that you will take the matter to higher authorities if the issue can not be resolved.

However, if you have already accepted some money as compensation for the death of the animal, legally you may have already closed the door on any further compensation.

I understand you will need to report the death to the licensing body. Under cause I would put ''Sold already diseased animal from breeder''

But I am nasty like that.

Nope they (government department) aren't there for quality control. Only to ensure licenses and paperwork are correct and license conditions are being met.

I talked to him about getting an autopsy but he said the price can blow out of proportion quite fast.
I only have an old I phone so not the best quality
D2674FE1-7111-4335-B1A5-C5EA5301F2D8-3611-0000027199FB29E8_zps84383d8f.jpg

If that's the animal, it actually looks quite OK to me...

Jamie

Nope they (government department) aren't there for quality control. Only to ensure licenses and paperwork are correct and license conditions are being met.

I thought the same thing but I emailed them to ask and they said they check everything.

It's like buying a car. It has to be registered by the governing body. But if you buy a lemon, that's on you not the government deparent in charge of registration and compliance.

It's like buying a car. It has to be registered by the governing body. But if you buy a lemon, that's on you not the government deparent in charge of registration and compliance.

Buying a lemon car is covered by fair trading, etc isn't it?

On a side note, I was told by PALM that QPWS are the ones who do the routine checks of captive kept herps but I just rang them and they said it's EHP - formerly DERM - and they don't want to talk... Passing the buck much?

Edit: Police can prosecute for damage of property (in relation to the RBB thread) and I'm still on hold with RSPCA...

Last edited:
We get random inspections in WA. But they just check paper work and count the number of animals and make sure there are no extra animals or no animals missing. They also give warnings etc if you use sand for pythons or don't have locks on olives pythons etc. last time I was inspected they checked every empty click clack I had visable.

Buying a lemon car is covered by fair trading, etc isn't it?
?

Any purchase can be covered by fair trading. Whether or not you have the resources to chase the matter is another story.

The animal in the pic looks good condition wise to me.The fact that it fed for you also suggests that it perhaps wasn't sick at all.
Before jumping to any conclusions the fact that a regurg occured 2 days after a feed could mean that something else could have been a factor in its death,bad food,temps etc.

I will revisit my vet and see if I can get a letter. I do accept some liability as its the buyers duty to know what he/she's buying. But for the seller to accuse me of killing the snake is disgraceful and having a huge argument just to get a part refund is not acceptable. I don't want to mention names but another snake is up for sale from the same seller on here.

I will revisit my vet and see if I can get a letter. I do accept some liability as its the buyers duty to know what he/she's buying. But for the seller to accuse me of killing the snake is disgraceful and having a huge argument just to get a part refund is not acceptable. I don't want to mention names but another snake is up for sale from the same seller on here.

The thing is say you owned an animal for a few years and in that time it had never had any issues with regard to health,feeding etc.You then sell it and a few days later the new owner informs you that it had died.What would you think?

I'm not taking sides just pointing out another side.Unfortunately livestock doesn't come with 12 months/20,000 km warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back