Snake died possibly from shedding (BIT GRAPHIC)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronoz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Was doing a routine check just now like i do every night to remove any poop or old shed and was destroyed to find out one of my snakes had died so suddenly.

The only thing that was odd i noticed was that last night he was shedding so i removed the pieces that fell off but noticed he was oddly moist to the touch but I just shrugged it off thinking that he must’ve went through his water dish like he always does.

To the touch, the red area feels solid and hard.

Im not sure whether its a burn or not because the temp is at a constant 30c degrees.

He was an absolutely beautiful snake and I just feel absolutely disappointed at myself for not recognising the signs

f97f1a34a8d17ab2dfdcef1727b5ffa9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over cold nights heating can run flat out. What heating you use?
Condolences my friend

I was using a heating mat and it had a probe thermostat between the mat and tub

Very sorry to hear of your loss. He looks like a beautiful marbled and it's such a strange thing, in all my years of working with snakes and other animals I've never seen anything like this happening in 24 hours.

It does almost look like a burn (like, being on a BBQ and literally dry roasting until crisp), but unless someone actually placed the middle of his body in an oven or something it seems completely impossible. Given the distribution of the effected area and the type of heating, we can rule out a burn. Poisoning doesn't seem likely unless he was somehow exposed to a chemical in that area of his body, which seems more or less possible to rule out. Pathogenic disease seems almost possible to rule out unless it was an extreme flesh eating bacterium (think Meningococcal type pathogen), which I've never heard of but bizarre as it is, is the only thing I can think of which remotely fits. Maybe there's some other explanation I'm somehow overlooking.

Reason I suspected it got cooked I’ve been there done that when a probe fell out of a dumb rack I made. I’m not convinced but it’s definitely a possibility.

May not be a burn because my other snake shares the other half of the heat mat and shes fine

Last edited:
Does anyone else think it looks as though an entire layer of scales has been ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back