Snake Enclosure Background

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by Greenman, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Greenman

Greenman New Member

Hi all,
    After some advice. I have nearly finished building a new enclosure for my jungle python and was wanting a background of some sort to break up all the white melamine. The internal dimensions are approx 1200 wide x 850 high. All the products from the shops are crazy expensive especially when talking those dimensions. I thought about having a go myself at making one out of expandable foam but really don't have the time or energy at the moment. I am still keen to give that a go one day but figure i can change it out at a later date so at the moment i am after a cheapish alternative.
    I was tossing up between an artificial green wall for the background or a using bark to cover the back wall which i can hang some fake plants from to give it some colour. Can anyone see any issues with any of this or does anyone have any other good ideas.

Cheers

2. cagey

cagey Subscriber Subscriber

I did this for my woma by putting in boards cut with a jig saw to give some irregulat shape and holes and then painted with some different colours to break up the surface
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Feb 7, 2020, Original Post Date: Feb 7, 2020 ---
    Here is a photo. Polish_20200207_160825626.jpg

kernel_pan1c, Ropey and Greenman like this.
  3. Sir Pentious

Sir Pentious New Member

I too am looking to upgrade a newly acquired melamine enclosure with an attractive background. Where are some good places to buy natural looking faux-stone terrarium backgrounds? Design ideas for internal ledges and vertical hides would also be appreciated, such as the above example by Cagey.

4. Greenman

Greenman New Member

I finally finished my enclosure. Went against the fake rock look as was too expensive and thought the bark was going to be too hard to clean. Ended up getting a decorative screen from bunnings and cutting to size. Pretty happy how it turned out

C29924A3-9EFF-4C98-AF0E-688DD8E26559.jpeg

5. Ryan-James

Ryan-James Active Member

That turned out brilliantly, well done! I've probably made 30-40 backgrounds over the years and imo fake naturalistic backgrounds don't really do well with any snakes long term, snake poo is very...penetrating, and there's nothing like spending a Saturday morning chiseling away at rock hard python turds on a fake rock background.

Greenman likes this.