Snake feeding advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi,
so I am fairly new to snakes, being a prodemently lizard keeper for past years. My Coastal x Diamond Python has come into shed and will most
likely shed within the next couple of weeks. Should I still feed him or just leave him alone?

Thanks
regards
CN

Some of mine will still feed if in shed others have refused meals as well though. So now I just leave them be till they shed, won't harm snake to go a week or 2 without food as your probably aware. You should get a nice feed response too once there done shedding

Some of mine will still feed if in shed others have refused meals as well though. So now I just leave them be till they shed, won't harm snake to go a week or 2 without food as your probably aware. You should get a nice feed response too once there done shedding
Thank you much apreciated.

Some members may be offended by calling your snake a Coastal x Diamond Python. It is far safer to call it a Diamond intergrade. LOl

Some members may be offended by calling your snake a Coastal x Diamond Python. It is far safer to call it a Diamond intergrade. LOl
I don't care if members are offended by it. It is Coastal that was bred with a Diamond python plain and simple. If they can't accept it than thats their problem and they best not be calling themselves "enthusiast".

Last edited:
I don't care if members are offended by it. It is Coastal that was bred with a Diamond python plain and simple. If they can't accept it than thats their problem and they best not be calling themselves "enthusiast".

Could not have said that better!

Exactly. Be careful on this site, a lot of "experts" get a bit ***** when you don't use the correct terminology.. Anyway I feed my 2 right up until they get to the milky eye stage, then I hold off. You won't do any harm by missing a feed mate. Diamond x Coastal are beautiful, a bit jealous mate! :)

I keep most of my snakes thinner than a lot of other keepers.... looking at wild snakes and how they live, breed and thrive on a lot less food than there captive relos i believe people over feed there snakes alot. If he is going through a shed just leave him be. A week or two without food will not hurt him at all, if anything it gives him time to relax and shed in peace. Once he has shed and starts looking for food ( as much as pythons do anyway) then offer him food. Giving snakes a few week off here or there is a good thing, gives them time to digest a bit of fat :)

We don't feed ours if we know they are going to shed. Occasionally we might miss the signs, and they have still eaten, and then shed fine. The only ones are our albinos; appreciate any tips on how to tell if they are going to shed. :)

Seems like Wokkas comment soared over your head!!!
An enthusiast!

Thank you for all the help and advice it is all much appreciated. He is at the "milky" eye stage so I will just leave him for the next 2 weeks (I go on holidays for a week tomorrow anyway). Yep I'm well aware reptiles can go without for a couple of weeks (I go away each year for 3 weeks and just fatten them up before I leave, haven't had a problem) bit yeh just wasn't sure with snake shedding and stuff.

Regards
CN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back