snake handling courses

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that WIRES does not give out a permit......I have never claimed to, I simply provide one of many courses in Australia and WIRES wanted to buy my course two years ago! WIRES need to understand that there are several great courses out there, and to reduce the stress on them there is a process called recognition of prior learning, which will enable them to have more snake catchers available that have met appropriate levels of training, that is the idea of an RTO accredited course, for it to be Nationally Recognized not only by wildlife authorities but also employers and volunteer groups!

They are probably more worried about oh&s. It's their duty of care to ensure the person is correctly trained and is capable. Snake catching would be classed as a high risk category of so they would want alot of **** covering on their behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted, but RTO accredited courses include OH&S, we have a strong emphasis on it. I would be interested to know why WIRE dont recognize other courses......if a person has been trained and has a permit, wildlife groups should welcome them with open arms!....and of course supervise them or do a short day to evaluate their skills, not ignore a person all together just because someone else trained them.

Wildlife Rescue groups offer venemous handling courses and it's worthwhile getting involved with these groups, you can save snakes from people, very satisfying. Also around the sydney area Neville Burns does a ven relocation course I hear good things about

Nevilles course is husbandry, not damage mitigation.

as you live in nowra, there is no point attempting to use a wildlife rescue group as a means to play with elapids.
NANA are the wildlife rescue people in this area. They have an anti native animals as pets stance within the current committee. They will not allow any member to keep native animals and offer rescue/rehab services.
I have been to a committee meeting in an attempt to change this. it will not happen as they are predominantly middle aged women who only care about the soft and cuddlies and cute featheries.
a ridiculous stance as the lone elapid collector is Dusty, a local icon who is getting a bit long in the fang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back