snake holes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesssie

:|Howdy herpers! :)

I've just been out the front and found two burrow looking holes in my front lawn, about four feet apart from each other. Way too small to be rabbit holes or something. They almost look like big yabbie holes. And although I do live near the river, its a good 1.5km from my house... Honestly can't see a big yabbie strolling that far from the river just to burrow into my lawn. But I DID see an Eastern Brown Snake on the foot path out front of my place a couple of weeks ago. They look relatively freshly dug, and I've never noticed them before. I'm out there pretty often giving my Jungle Pythons abit of a "run" on the grass out in the sun. I've heard of snakes living in holes, but was under the impression that they used old abandoned animal holes. But that being said, I honestly wouldn't know.

Could there be a Brown Snake surprise in the holes?

Feb 21, 2013 1.20.25 PM.jpg

I have heard of RBB and Browns making 'dens'. My mum always told me to watch out for them when I was a kid...not sure if this is one or not....sorry!

Yeah I always got told to watch out for them and don't go poking sticks down holes in case a snake came out, but I have no idea what they actually look like unfortunately. I might put a yabbie net over both holes and see what comes out and gets trapped? I love Pythons but I'm not so keen on Browns or RBBs lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a ridiculously huge ugly dangerous spider......

I might put a yabbie net over both holes and see what comes out and gets trapped? I love Pythons but I'm not so keen on Browns or RBBs lol

Are yabbie nets similar to bird netting? If so, I would strongly advise against doing that.
Also, why are vens so much worse than pythons? I'm sure you know yourself that pythons aren't out to get people. Neither are elapids. They just want to get on with their lives without bothering or being bothered by the oafish two legged giants surrounding them.

Elapids are worse than pythons because they have venom which makes them evil. Pythons are cuddly and harmless..
Snakes don't dig holes (well some will use their heads to partially excavate an already existing burrow, usually in sand). But they will use any existing holes, cracks, etc to hide in. Any hole could potentially have a snake in it, and even if it did you may never actually see that snake.

@ Xeaal, there is no such thing as a dangerous spider only careless people, and i am yet to see an ugly spider, back on track....Hey Jesssie when i lived in Berri (SA) we used to get holes like that in our yards and when i got a pesty to come out and have a look he said the holes were made by a type of mole, could be the same thing you have, try putting a garden hose down 1 of the holes and let them fill with water and see if anythings pops out to say hello..........................................................Ron

Are yabbie nets similar to bird netting? If so, I would strongly advise against doing that.
Also, why are vens so much worse than pythons? I'm sure you know yourself that pythons aren't out to get people. Neither are elapids. They just want to get on with their lives without bothering or being bothered by the oafish two legged giants surrounding them.

By all means, I don't think they're evil monsters out to get everyone lol. Its just that I've got an amazing dog and a curious cat that I love very much who both wander around my yard and who a Brown Snake or a RBB could bite and kill. That's why I'm "not so keen" on the idea of having one in my yard. I don't have a problem with them, but I'm not about to go pick one up or make a cozy little home for it at my place.. I figure if I leave them alone, they'll leave me alone. Don't hate them, but I'm smart enough to have some measure of fear of them for myself and my pets.

We do have a marsupial mole in Australia but I don't imagine they would be found in that type of soil, would think they would be in more sandy environments, but it certainly is possible. It's not a spider burrow. Stick your hand down it and see what's attached to your fingers when you pull it out.

Could always carefully excavate it....

I might consider it if I weren't pregnant lol and I've got buckley's chance of getting my husband to do it, he gets squirmish over a gecko haha he's only just warmed up to my Pythons! ;)

Could be a ridiculously huge ugly dangerous spider......

Maybe if we were up in queensland or something lol but no giant spiders around these parts... Biggest we get here is a huntsman Haha

Elapids are worse than pythons because they have venom which makes them evil. Pythons are cuddly and harmless..
Snakes don't dig holes (well some will use their heads to partially excavate an already existing burrow, usually in sand). But they will use any existing holes, cracks, etc to hide in. Any hole could potentially have a snake in it, and even if it did you may never actually see that snake.

Yeah I didn't think they could, what with having no limbs and all Haha but thought id just ask if there was any truth to those rumours lol

It could also be a birds nest.. forget the finch that does nest in the ground

Rainbow Bee eaters and Pardalotes both next in the ground...

@ Xeaal, there is no such thing as a dangerous spider only careless people, and i am yet to see an ugly spider, back on track....Hey Jesssie when i lived in Berri (SA) we used to get holes like that in our yards and when i got a pesty to come out and have a look he said the holes were made by a type of mole, could be the same thing you have, try putting a garden hose down 1 of the holes and let them fill with water and see if anythings pops out to say hello..........................................................Ron

I might have to look these little fellahs up hey? The hose is probably a better idea than the yabbie net, if it is a snake, Browny or not, I wouldn't want it getting stuck in the netting holes :/

We do have a marsupial mole in Australia but I don't imagine they would be found in that type of soil, would think they would be in more sandy environments, but it certainly is possible. It's not a spider burrow. Stick your hand down it and see what's attached to your fingers when you pull it out.

You're quite welcome to come over and stick your hand in there... I might pass this time though ;) lol

Rainbow Bee eaters and Pardalotes both next in the ground...

It could also be a birds nest.. forget the finch that does nest in the ground

Seriously? Ok I had no idea some birds nest in the ground!

Looks like pretty deep hole from what I can see, can birds dig perfectly rounded and consistently sized holes with those long little toes of theirs? I'm having difficulty imagining it lol

They do a surprisingly neat job of it, not sure about perfectly round, perhaps slightly more oval, but neat and clean all the same.

Crabs can make holes like that....what tracks are around/leading into the hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back