snake holes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try the hose idea. Whatever is in there will come out if water is added but then again if it is a birdy nest or the mole marsupial it may destroy their home :( It's up to you though, just wear steel caps in case it is a ven ;)

I would try the hose idea. Whatever is in there will come out if water is added but then again if it is a birdy nest or the mole marsupial it may destroy their home :( It's up to you though, just wear steel caps in case it is a ven ;)

Might give it a shot I reckon, just really low pressure so I hopefully won't drown the poor thing if it is a mole or a bird lol

and I think I night strap on some cricket pads too hey Haha

Crabs can make holes like that....what tracks are around/leading into the hole?

No crabs around here frank, we do have yabbies but it would have to be a pretty massive yabbie to make a hole that big. And as i said im about 1.5km from the river and about 1.5-2km from the lagoon or the creeks. And that being said, I can't see a yabbie coming into residential areas when over by the lagoon and creeks there's heaps of scrublands and by the river there's plenty of nice soft mud, reeds and grass.

Although if it is a big yabbie, I wouldn't mind digging him up to eat him Haha ;)

Oh, and I can't see any tracks around the hole. But the ground is really hard and there's all grass and weeds around the hole so it probably wouldn't leave any tracks.

What about mabye a monitor or Dragons burrow?
they could also be test burrows since there are 2 near by

Could be lizards I had a couple like that out the front and one looked like it had been filled in turned out a bearded dragon had layed its eggs and about 3 to 4 months later a bunch of baby bearded dragons dug their way out!

I second the bandicoot idea. Echidna's also dig holes like this looking for ants

If it's a nest and you pour water in there, you could kill whatever is in the nest. And if it's a hole something dug in search of food, there'll likely be nothing exciting in there to emerge anyway. Personally I'd leave it alone and just keep an eye on it, and the surrounding area. As mentioned, snakes don't actually dig holes like that, they just sometimes temporarily occupy holes dug by other critters. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.. but I'd feel awful if i drowned a nest of baby critters or destroyed some eggs.

It is not a pardalote nor bee eater or kingfisher nest, they burrow into near vertical banks. It is also not a bandicoot dig (they make a mess- you should see my back yard), and it is not the sort of excavation made by an echidna. The lack of soil excavated from the hole is curious.

Could also be something as simple as a sink hole due to a leaking drain/sewerage/irrigation pipe in your front yard.

Before you stress about killing endangered species think that the simplest answer could be the correct one...

It is not a pardalote nor bee eater or kingfisher nest, they burrow into near vertical banks. It is also not a bandicoot dig (they make a mess- you should see my back yard), and it is not the sort of excavation made by an echidna. The lack of soil excavated from the hole is curious.

I found that odd too. The fact that there's no soil built up around the lip, rules out yabbies. Dragons and monitors dig more sideways and definitely not near perfectly round burrows. And this hole goes straight down about a foot (upon closer inspection ;) ) maybe some sort of burrowing frog?

Elapids are worse than pythons because they have venom which makes them evil. Pythons are cuddly and harmless..
Snakes don't dig holes (well some will use their heads to partially excavate an already existing burrow, usually in sand). But they will use any existing holes, cracks, etc to hide in. Any hole could potentially have a snake in it, and even if it did you may never actually see that snake.
I would have to disagree with both your statements, venomous snakes are not evil and they do not go out of their to attack and harm humans an as for pythons, in the wild I have heard of cases where bacteria from rotting flesh can remain in the snakes saliva and people have died and been seriously harmed by the infection

I would have to disagree with both your statements, venomous snakes are not evil and they do not go out of their to attack and harm humans an as for pythons, in the wild I have heard of cases where bacteria from rotting flesh can remain in the snakes saliva and people have died and been seriously harmed by the infection

Skinks was being sarcastic.

I think the holes are from the landing gear of an alien spacecraft. Whether the aliens have taken up residence in the holes is yet to be discovered. Good luck with that.

That hole looks too "perfect" to be any kind of bird or larger marsupial like an echidna. I get holes like that sometimes in my garden but they're much smaller and usually have grubs or spiders in them. That hole looks too large to be a grub or spider, and as you've said most likely not a yabbie either. Could be lizards too.
It could also be some kind of native rat/mouse.
Water would work but as some have said it could destroy/kill whatever is in that hole (if anything). Maybe try some food tied to fishing line and left outside the hole and watch it from a distance?

Last option could be to place a box or something over the hole overnight and see if there is anything underneath it in the morning?

I'm still intrigued as to why people instantly assume this hole was made by an animal...

You could try finding a thin, flexible stick, and poking it down the hole to antagonise whatever's in there into coming out. I did that at my grandpa's place when I was a kid, and caught a really cool spider which I played with for ages, but then my grandpa killed it :(

It's probably not a very nice thing to do to a critter, but it beats flooding their home or destroying it by digging it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back