Snake Hook

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The jag gene, while beautiful, comes with the downside of neurological issues in some snakes. Some individuals never get it, others go from badly affected to fine and some go from good to bad. Basically, neuro causes them to have spasms or just awkward movements. The most extreme cases can kill.

Triggers basically are one thing that will cause the neuro to come on. They can be handled, but care must be taken not to overdo handling if the snake isn't cooperating. Some cases have been recorded where bug spray has been sprayed around the room where the snake is or bleach not properly rinsed after an enclosure cleaning, and this brought along neuro.

Other perfectly pure snakes can get it. Just like everything with a brain. When I first joined APS, there was a thread where the poster had recently bought an MD that turned out to have neuro. There was quite a heated argument on the ethics of what should have been done between a sorely inexperienced me, and the very experienced members of APS. The thread was lost when APS broke down, which is a shame because if you overlooked the arguing there was some very useful information available. And I admit I enjoy a good debate every now and then, livens up the atmosphere.

Jags are still great animals, I almost got a jungle jag from Top End Pythons a few weeks back at the Castle Hill Reptile Expo. It's just very important that potential buyers are aware of the possible neuro before they buy a snake.

Cheers,
Herpo

No problem, I was actually taught that by [MENTION=3008]turtle[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36030]ronhalling[/MENTION] a few months ago.

Hey guys,

I have been using a snake hook on my childrens python for picking her up out of her enclosure. I feed her in her enclosure as well. Was just curious should I continue with using the hook or should I start getting her used to being picked up by hand?

Cheers.

Hey Buddy, in short if you a a bit nervous about using a hook or your bare hands in the beginning it is ok to use an old pillow case that has the scent of your snake on it, can you imagine how frightening it would be for a 2 month old snake to have this giant pink thing with all those appendages sticking out of it coming at you, the pillow case softens the profile of your hands and the snakes own scent seems to settle it a lot quicker, most gloves in my opinion make picking up and handling the snake a very clumsy affair and the chance of injury to the snake is higher. :) ........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back