Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow, there are heaps of reps out at the uni way, plus paluma, alligator creek, etc etc etc....list goes on...just need to pick your days. I even went for a walk along riverside with the reptile club last month in the pouring rain and still managed to find a bts.
Last week got a call to a 2.1 m taipan that killed a dog in kelso.. unexpected find but not impossible.
Keep looking! And good luck...

Got a photo of it Tan? Would love to see...

I second that, would love to see the taipan - and also kept up to date with any snake removals you do in Townsville purely out of interest (its nice to know what is in our backyards :)).

Shadow - its much like all the advice the other guys have given me in this thread - Paluma, Town Common, Herveys Range Road, Pallarenda, JCU (though personally I have never had much luck there), and the road out to AIMS. I only ever go at night and mostly see water pythons when it has been raining.

The other thing I would say is at the moment I am going out herping A LOT (uni stuff hasnt properly kicked in for me....yet). Where I saw the carpet python I have probably visited 15 times in the recent past and never seen anything and then one night I get lucky!

Got a photo of it Tan? Would love to see...

These photos weren't taken by me, they were taken at the vet where the dog was on life support and later euthanised after ID of the snake. Unfortunately the snake was found dead next to the collapsed dog when the owners returned home from work.
Sad end for both animals.
Taipan004.jpg

Taipan005.jpg

Taipan001.jpg

Wow thats a really impressive Taipan - what a shame about both animals.

Had a bit of a slow night herping last night, saw an injured water python that was tongue flicking but looked to be in a bad way (are there any wildlife carers in Townsville - he may of had a chance with some proper help?) and also saw a very aggressive little spotted python and a very placid keelback.

Also saw some freak hanging out of his car herping - it was great meeting you last night Palex!

Last edited:
Tan lucky you ....that is a big elapid .sad ending for both dog and snake well sad ending for the owners of the dog to ..how you travelling Tan ? hope all is going good with you :)

Also saw some freak hanging out of his car herping - it was great meeting you last night Palex!

Haha,
Good to meet you too man,
After we ran into you, we cruised a brown tree snake at the other spot. Other then that, a quiet night as well. Never did see the water python. I'll charge up the credit on my phone soon as well.
_MG_4675.jpg

After cruising 4 nights in a row, I think it's time to take a break until the weekend and start studying some neglected Biochem.

Nice one Palex, you will have to show me how to hold a brown tree snake properly.

Here's a few spotteds I've seen in the last week....

This is a great thread. Wish i was in Townsville i would love to see some of those snakes. It seems your wild spotteds are alot calmer than my captive psychopath female:shock:

Most of the BTSs around here have a beautiful nature, I usually just handle them like any python - be gentle and support them well and they are generally happy to just comply. Nice spotty too... I don't think I've come across an angry spotty yet.

Attachments

• bts.JPG
    bts.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 86
Haha most of the BTS's I have seen have been super aggressive, lunging out without me even laying a finger on them or even getting close (I have some funny video footage of one lunging repeatedly at thin air with no-one in front of it at all) but I have come across a few docile ones. One wild spotty I saw the other day was really aggressive, though at about 50cm was not quite as frightening as he thought he was! The rest have been extremely placid.

Nice spotteds man,
Still haven't seen one yet. The brown tree we saw was more docile then the carpet, but nothing like those water pythons.

Last edited:
Heres my slightly less impressive take on the whip snake and blind snake xshadowx and myself came across a little while ago plus a few others from last nights herping trip....

Attachments

• LesserBlackWHip3.jpg
    LesserBlackWHip3.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 72
  • BlindSnake.jpg
    BlindSnake.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Babypossum2.jpg
    Babypossum2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
Well I'm bored and trying to avoid uni exam revision so thought I would post a few pics of stuff I've seen recently - not many snakes around so have added a few other things for the hell of it....

Attachments

• Freshie.jpg
    Freshie.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 83
Nice photos, I've been guilty of taking the odd "daggy" frog photo :lol: Is that crocodile in Townsville, I had no idea you could get freshies there...

Aaron

Those last lot of pics are really nice! I am so jealous, it will be at least 12 months before i get back up that way. Thanks for sharing, and keep em coming.

We've had a bit of warmer weather over the last few weeks and has turned up a few handsome devils....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back