Snake ID from Tumbarumba NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldie74

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, apologies for the poor picture quality. A friend recently showed me these pictures of a snake she photographed in a camp ground in Tumbarumba NSW. She said the snake had bright yellow ventral scales and a very distinct & defined red lateral stripe. 1m + in length. I only have Cogger to ID but was unsuccessful. Any ideas?
e6umetyb.jpg
munu8a9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a copperhead ,change scientific names like underpants but is probably austrelaps superbus.

Highlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi).
Reasons for ID: relatively large size with relatively small head that is indistinct from the neck.
Colouration i.e dark steely grey/olive brown that is low gloss/matt with distinct pale yellow paraventral stripe, bordered above by a reddish, lower lateral stripe.
If you look closely, there are black margins on the yellow scales that form a thin black stripe in between that scales.
Last but not least is the locality, which essentially eliminates the similar looking Lowlands Copperhead, which is usually found further south and as far as I know not recorded near Tumbarumba.

Cogger has separated them this time around LOL

Thanks guys.. info passed on to the photographer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back