snake id needed asap please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think more canetoads eat keelbacks than the other way around unfortunatly. Is that a wild caught one?
Would a captive bred keelback be as resistant to canetoad as a wild one?

I agree snakeman, when we had a river running through our property in qld we found quite a few headless keelbacks, I wasn't sure what creature was killing them until I caught a canetoad in the act.

Pretty sure thats a rough scaled snake? They look similar to keelbacks but are venomous.
You can tell by the scale arrangement on the head.

Argh this time its pretty hard, usually its easy to tell the difference. I could tell if I could see its mouth lol keelbacks have a "smile" while roughies dont.

Last edited:
so treat it like it's venomous, whats the midbody scale count? 15 and it's a keelback, 23 and it's a rough scaled. Also are the anal and subcaudal scales divided (keelback) or single (rough scaled snake)?

Based on absent loreal scale I would say rough scaled

Last edited:
so treat it like it's venomous, whats the midbody scale count? 15 and it's a keelback, 23 and it's a rough scaled. Also are the anal and subcaudal scales divided (keelback) or single (rough scaled snake)?

lol I dont think he'll be counting the scales or looking at its bum if theres a chance its venomous.

Yeah, as we dont know 100% what it is, treat it as a rough scaled snake, better safe than sorry.

Rough scaled pythons are not poisonous! They're pythons!
Rough scaled pythons have a bigger head, bigger eyes, and the only python with keeled scales!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back