Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugeye23

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got home from work today to my elderly neighbour asking for my help because she had seen a snake in her back yard, this was my first capture and release anyway I think it might be a green tree snake but i just treated it like a poisonous one i'm not too familiar with other breeds besides the ones i keep myself.

IMG_9203.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg

Correct green tree snake and they are venomous but they really need to chew on ya to invenomate

Yep, a common tree snake. They're NOT venomous. only brown tree snakes are, and even then they're rear-fanged snakes.

I dunno. My Australian reptile book says that they aren't venomous to humans. Just give off a really bad smell when threatened.

They actually are venomous, it's just that with the tiny amount of venom they produce and of course being rear fanged, most bites are rendered insignificant to humans.

Green tree snake,
They are not venomous and they are defantly not poisonous!

There in the colubrids family and all aussie colubrids are venomous, stop correcting people if you know naught what your talking about

Last edited:
It's like saying that Sydney Funnel Webs aren't venomous just because their bite doesn't affect cats and dogs...

Yes, common tree snakes aka green tree snakes are venomous. Being rear-fanged they have to get a good back grip on you and chew to inject the venom, but even then, it shouldn't affect an adult human.

? That is one of the worst comparisons ive ever heard of :p

Well if their venom doesn't affect people, why call them venomous? If you tell people (that aren't reptile lovers) that they're not, then those people are more likely to not kill them and let them stay around.

Anyway, seriously, who cares?

Beautiful snake, I hope he wasn't too upset about being relocated!

haha typical APS argument... they are venomous as they produce venom in VENOM GLAND and transport it down the VENOM duct and then use it on their prey to me that is venomous... but in saying that bearded dragons have venom glands ...but thats another argument :p

Well if their venom doesn't affect people, why call them venomous? If you tell people (that aren't reptile lovers) that they're not, then those people are more likely to not kill them and let them stay around.

that is a stupid way to approach colubrid venom, ofcourse they can still affect people, people react differently to venom

Does their saliva contain venomous proteins? What saliva doesn't?

They do not kill their prey using venom. They do not administer venom using pressure from glands, using grooved or hyperdermic fangs, or through any form of venom administering apparatus. They have solid state teeth. They do not have fangs.

For all intents and purposes they are as venomous as any animal that has a venomous protein which covers a hell of a lot of animals people don't call venomous.

Anyway, seriously, who cares?

Beautiful snake, I hope he wasn't too upset about being relocated!

That gives me another idea. We should stop calling them snakes too, that way people won't be scared of them and then won't kill them.

Venomous. Adjective. Containing venom.

I'm a big fan of using the english language to convey meaning, rather than pretty descriptions. I have absolutely no idea whether or not GTS's have venom, but if they do, they're venomous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back