Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Whisperer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Real one this time ;). Saw this fella on a bush walk many moons ago and I had presumed he was an eastern brown. Not so sure anymore. Anyone know what this is?

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like a coastal taipan , tapers in at the neck cream lipped and red eyes but not %100 sure nice pics

Bit hard to tell but looks like a Coastal Taipan to me.

:p

Hix

In actual fact you probably would have had more of a confrontation if it was a eastern brown ,,,,,,,you were lucky to come across such a beautiful species very intelligent snake the ole pan is

Sweet, thanks for the Id team! It was indeed a magnificent specimen. I could not get over it's temperament. Placid as could be the whole time we were there, not a single defensive posture or agitated movement.

My money's on it being a marsh snake (<i>Hemiaspis signata</i>). You can sort of make out the two pale face stripes that are characteristic of this species. Marsh snakes are frequently encountered in and around Springbrook, unlike coastal taipans.

if you have better and/or larger pics we can probably be more confident in an ID.

Stewart

Funny looking habitat for out in the bush,looks more man made to me .

definately not a taipan... I'm with Stewart on this one... Marsh Snake

So the concensus is marsh snake huh?

It's actually a cross between a taipan and a marsh snake. Not only is it super venomous, it's also a really good swimmer. Taipans (and brown snakes) have been cross-breeding for years (so the farmers tell me) and the resulting hybrids are even more dangerous 'cos there's no effective antivenom.

Stewart
PS: I am of course kidding. The pictured snake is a marsh snake, and most definitely not a coastal taipan. The pale head on the pictured snake appears to be a result of the flash hitting it.

akira go on the geoff jacobs identification site and look up the marsh you will find it is nothing like what you have taken a pic of the marsh only gets to a measurment of 50 to 90 cm long i am still sticking with a taipan .....its the taperd neck and creamed lip

akira go on the geoff jacobs identification site and look up the marsh you will find it is nothing like what you have taken a pic of the marsh only gets to a measurment of 50 to 90 cm long i am still sticking with a taipan .....its the taperd neck and creamed lip

Are you saying that the snake photographed above is larger than 90cm? How are you determining that? What do you mean by 'creamed lip'? How does that suggest a taipan?

Stewart

Looks tiny to me, compared to background & leaf. Swamp snake.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back