Snake ID (Roadkill)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanzey

Reaction score
I know the photos are not the best, I should of taken more but I was getting attacked by the ants.. It was about 1.5m, deep brown, cream belly with no flecks. Apologies for the terrible shots :lol:

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg
DSCF1484.jpg

Cheers

Although there's not much to base an ID on, I'm guessing Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata); primarily based on the narrow head and relatively large eyes. Also the prefrontals and internasals are all more or less equal (prefrontals slightly larger).

Last edited:
I can see a loreal scale in the picture affirming it's a colubrid. Common Tree Snake appears the most likely candidate of those since it's obviously not a Brown Tree, Slaty or Keelback, and not very likely to be a Northern Tree.

Definitely D. punctulata, they are usually black in NQ, the head shape is pretty distictive but also the shape of the loreal scale is pretty handy in less obvious cases like this. Long, flat loreal fits common tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Chanzey if it had been sitting there for a few days the yellow pigment could've broken down. Iridophores don't last long in dead/preserved specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back