Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilerob

Reaction score
Firstly, i appologise for posting a photo of a dead snake, like most people here i much prefer to find live ones, but my wife and I found this dead small snake in one of our herping areas, and we are not 100% sure what it is.
Personally, i believe its a baby eastern brown snake, but my wife believes that eastern browns this size are usually much lighter in colour, and can have darker patterns, which i also know is true.
If you look closely you can see the head is slightly darker than the rest of its body. Could it be a baby copperhead? I have only seen 1 baby brown in my life and it was very light brown, almost yellow. I have seen a few baby blacks, and a baby copperhead and they were the same colours as the adults.
The snake is about 30-35cm long, and about 15km NW of mt beauty in NE victoria. In this area we have found RBBS, highland copperheads, tiger snakes and eastern browns.
If anybody can tell us what it is it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Robbie.

Attachments

• deadsnake1.jpg
    deadsnake1.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 220
  • deadsnake2.jpg
    deadsnake2.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 242
WOW i never knew they were even in the area!!! Are you confident of this? if so this is quite exciting for me. Next time i stay up there we will go out at night with a portable spotlight, although that may not be until after winter now as the nights are getting very cool up there in the foothills of the alps.
Thanks heaps mate.

Thanks fellas. Rett82 is staying at her parents in mt beauty until wednesday, so i will tell her on the phone tomorrow. She will be quite excited.
Over the summer months, we got 3 or 4 really quick glimpses of snakes basking on the warm road after sunset, but couldnt see what they were. They were all small, between 30 and 50cm maybe smaller and took off really quickly. One was near wangaratta, and the rest mt beauty. At the time i thought they must have been baby tigers or eastern browns, but now that i know these white lipped snakes are around here that has opened up another, more likely possibility.
Thanks heaps fellas.

rob, if u need a good place to herp, try the foothills of buffalo, like around nug nug and buff lake and on the top at the chalet theres a heap of crevice skinks, they are fun :p only when they sorta dont poop and piddle all down your arm...

Thanks Asharee, we love that area too. We were almost going to geo to mt buffalo last week when i had a day off, but ended up somewhere else instead!!!

Def Drysdalia coronoides, very common in that part of vic especially once you get into the higher altitudes

Cheers,
Scott

You shouldn't need a spotlight to find them...they are very active during the day and are more cold tolerant than any other australian snake.

You shouldn't need a spotlight to find them...they are very active during the day and are more cold tolerant than any other australian snake.
Here on the peninsula, they are the first snakes we get called to at the start of the season and last ones to be called to at the end of the season.
Generally...:)

That’s a nice looking white lip, they are also very common around the yarra valley and dandy ranges. We get a lot of purple ones around here and are an amazing snake to work with. We had one give birth after a snake job to 5 little ones, they are tiny and very interesting, pity they are so hard to get in captivity.

Attachments

• white lipped snake.jpg
    white lipped snake.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 90
  • recent pics 016.jpg
    recent pics 016.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 95
  • recent pics 014.jpg
    recent pics 014.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.