Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAY

Someone sent these pics to
Garth

garth5.jpg

garth1.jpg

garth3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hemiaspis signata with 70-80% confidence.

I'm pretty familiar with the species but not too familiar with Drysdalia coronoides which may be a candidate in Southern Areas of Sydney, however the dark area above the white stripe on the lip should rule out the latter.

Anyway the white lip is pretty distinctive of the species.

(Mildly Venomous, but not likely to produce severe symptoms unless allergic, as with all snakes probably should not be handled like that, especially when unidentified.)

8065851710_b9dc30f546_c.jpg

So here is a White Lipped Snake Drysdalia coronoides that has a dark upper margin to the white streak on the supralabials

Really it needs a clearer pic to be sure as to what it is.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott, as I said I don't know Drysdalia I've never seen one, and you're right those pictures aren't terribly clear.

Fay do you think you could perhaps the person if they remember a ventral colouring to the snake? Since they were holding it they might have seen and it could help with the ID.

It appears to me to be almost certainly a White-lipped Snake Drysdalia coronoides. It has a single white line passing from the snout, under the eye and onto the neck. In contrast, a Marsh Snake has two white lines, one of which starts at the eye and level with it, which this snake does not possess. While there is no clear view of the ventrals, Photo 1 does indicate a light colour under the head, whereas in a Marsh Snake you would expect this region to be dark in colour.

If the captor checks the anal scale, single anal and light coloured ventrals indicate White-Lipped Snake while divided anal and dark coloured ventrals indicates Marsh Snake.

Blue

Hemiaspis signata with 70-80% confidence.

I'm pretty familiar with the species but not too familiar with Drysdalia coronoides which may be a candidate in Southern Areas of Sydney, however the dark area above the white stripe on the lip should rule out the latter.

Anyway the white lip is pretty distinctive of the species.

(Mildly Venomous, but not likely to produce severe symptoms unless allergic, as with all snakes probably should not be handled like that, especially when unidentified.)

White-lipped Snake do have a dark upper margin to the white lip and very often the lower margin of the white stripe to. However white lipped snakes don't posses a white stripe coming starting from the back of the eye as for the ventrals no one can actually see them but even without seeing them i am thinking a Drysdalia coronoides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back