Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This was located on the property of a guy I work with. Sorry about the poor photos but he was too scared to get any closer. He lives in Meadowflat which I’m led to believe is about halfway between Lithgow and Bathurst.
Based on location and the shape of the head (what you can see of it), my first impression was Tiger but I’m thinking possibly a Copperhead as well?

Attachments

• IMGP6697.jpg
    IMGP6697.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 405
  • IMGP6698.jpg
    IMGP6698.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 380
Are A.ramsayi that dark? That was the only thing sort of swaying me. It’s way out of A.superbus territory.

It's definitely A.ramsayi, I don't know snakes but the colour on the side of that is just textbook and ramsayi are often very dark.

Copperhead – larger lighter lateral scales, and the matt dull black back and texture of the scales

Haha you fool. I was wondering how you didn't pick up on that :p

Thanks for the replies gents. I feel a bit sheepish for thinking Tiger now...

Just to add to Saratoga's excellent description...

Diagnostic of copperheads, the lower laterals are cream to white with dark edging. You can also get this with the occsaional Red-bellied but their smooth, glossy black dorsal scales readily distinguish them from the matt, rough textured dorsal scales on Copperheads. You often get a row or two of brighter coloured laterals between the lowest lateral scales and the dorsal colour.

While there is only the vaguest indication visible on the photos provided, the lips will have light and dark vertical barring on them.

What a little fatty! Definitely on a good wicket.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back