Snake Identification from Shed Skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baygrad

Reaction score
20180120_071811.jpg 20180120_073324.jpg 20180120_072306.jpg 20180120_072007.jpg 20180120_072053.jpg 20180120_071957.jpg

Hi

Can anyone help me with identifying this snake skin found in our front yard in NSW? I tried AROD but receive the "No Results Found" response when I entered the following

Anal Scale; Divided
Number of dorsal scales; 11
Number of ventral scales; 193
Number of sub-caudal scales; 89
Subcaudals; Divided
State; NSW

It is a Common Green Tree snake (Dendrolaphis punctulatus). Your scale count was slightly off on dorsal scales and subcaudals. Minimum recorded subcaudals is 90 rather than 89. Dorsal count is done mid-body and this should be 13 rather than 11. Nevertheless, very well as an attempt to ID. The counts plus the clarity of the photos and 5the details they provided really helped.

Regardless of the subcaudal and mid body count, the head shields, divided anal scale and divided subcaudals confirm Mike's ID as a Common Tree Snake.

I was just about to add the following rider. Just like people with six fingers, scales counts (and even arrangements in some scales with some species) can occasionally fall out of the normal range. That is why one needs to take into account as many diagnostic features as possible. That is why your scale may be correct, but as George points out, it does not change the positive identification. You were probably unlucky to get an atypical specimen by the looks of it.

Thanks heaps for your help, I can walk around at night a bit easier. I can definitely be out with the subcaudals but the dorsal definitely seems to be 11.

You are dead right with the subcaudals.

I don't know whether you have heard of Brian Bush, but Busho reckons the best way to accurately count scale underneath is drive into the nearest town (if available), pop the snake into a clear plastic bag and then onto a photocopier. Failing that, a photograph through a sheet of glass can help. So you are not alone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back