Snake illness?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My baby girl just passed, she was 5 months old and I have no idea how but she has 2 red marks on her body like this
Does anyone know if this is just a poor shed or something that may have caused her passing away?
729de67b5c2dc717676f61c54537451b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear. I think you may need to give more info. What kind of set up do you have. Heating? Hide? Water?
How often did you feed her? Did you handle her often? Did she seem happy enough?
How often did she shed? Did she ever have issues shedding?
Was she exposed to any chemicals? Fly spray etc? Did you take her anywhere?

Not sure what else to ask.

Sorry for your loss xx

So sorry to hear. I think you may need to give more info. What kind of set up do you have. Heating? Hide? Water?
How often did you feed her? Did you handle her often? Did she seem happy enough?
How often did she shed? Did she ever have issues shedding?
Was she exposed to any chemicals? Fly spray etc? Did you take her anywhere?

Not sure what else to ask.

Sorry for your loss xx
I only got her recently and she hadn't shed in the time I had her, I fed her a few days after getting her so about a month ago. I had a heat mat under her tank which was about 34c, I used aspen snake bedding and she seemed pretty ok. She stayed in her hide most of the time. I'm not sure if she was drinking enough water, I refilled her bowl every couple of days but I only saw her drink once or twice. She was a jag carpet python and I've heard they have some neurological issues, so maybe she just only drank when she had found the water? She didn't move out of her hide often and when she did she always seemed to just stay in one spot on the otherside of her tank

I only got her recently and she hadn't shed in the time I had her, I fed her a few days after getting her so about a month ago. I had a heat mat under her tank which was about 34c, I used aspen snake bedding and she seemed pretty ok. She stayed in her hide most of the time. I'm not sure if she was drinking enough water, I refilled her bowl every couple of days but I only saw her drink once or twice. She was a jag carpet python and I've heard they have some neurological issues, so maybe she just only drank when she had found the water? She didn't move out of her hide often and when she did she always seemed to just stay in one spot on the otherside of her tank

Was the heat mat under the whole tank? A picture of the setup may shed some light on the situation. It sounds like you're a newer keeper and sometimes the obvious problems aren't obvious without experience. The red marks look like skin rot, most commonly caused by cold, damp, dirty conditions, but that seems very unlikely in this case. It sounds possible she was cooked, but that's impossible to be sure of without more information.

How recent is 'recently'?

She looks skinny in the picture, but I'm not sure if that's because she was skinny or because her body went flacid after death and it's just the way she's draped over your fingers.

When did the skin lesions first appear?

A lot more information (or the specific relevant bits) is required.

Was the heat mat under the whole tank? A picture of the setup may shed some light on the situation. It sounds like you're a newer keeper and sometimes the obvious problems aren't obvious without experience. The red marks look like skin rot, most commonly caused by cold, damp, dirty conditions, but that seems very unlikely in this case. It sounds possible she was cooked, but that's impossible to be sure of without more information.

How recent is 'recently'?

She looks skinny in the picture, but I'm not sure if that's because she was skinny or because her body went flacid after death and it's just the way she's draped over your fingers.

When did the skin lesions first appear?

A lot more information (or the specific relevant bits) is required.
I got her 5 weeks ago, and the heat mat was under the whole tank. I do think she was a little underweight, she was taking a while to shed and I tried to feed her multiple times just to see and she refused which I expected. The first red mark appeared about 1-2 weeks ago and I just thought it might be because she's having trouble shedding, I searched up scale rot but the results said that the under scales usually look red so I didn't think it was that. The second one appeared a day or less before she passed. My sister told me that when she was handling my snake she had her in her lap and she squished her a little bit. I'm not sure if that would've caused internal damage or anything but that was a day or two before she died. I can't think of anything else major that happened

I got her 5 weeks ago, and the heat mat was under the whole tank. I do think she was a little underweight, she was taking a while to shed and I tried to feed her multiple times just to see and she refused which I expected. The first red mark appeared about 1-2 weeks ago and I just thought it might be because she's having trouble shedding, I searched up scale rot but the results said that the under scales usually look red so I didn't think it was that. The second one appeared a day or less before she passed. My sister told me that when she was handling my snake she had her in her lap and she squished her a little bit. I'm not sure if that would've caused internal damage or anything but that was a day or two before she died. I can't think of anything else major that happened

Okay, first of all, unfortunately some of this may be unpleasant to read, and I want to say that I don't want you to feel bad, I'm just throwing up some necessary information. We're all human and make mistakes, the important thing is that we do our best and when we do make mistakes we learn from them and don't repeat them.

Sorry to say, it sounds like she was slowly cooked. It's important to give snakes access to a relatively cool temperature. If they're constantly forced to endure high temperatures it will cause problems. We can survive in 40 degrees for a few hours, maybe a few days, but eventually at 40 degrees we will die. A constant 34 degrees will definitely at least have contributed, especially if your reading was slightly off. The skin lesions were likely low level burns/heat damage from chronic low level heat exposure.

A warm end/area of 34 degrees is great for Carpet Pythons and it's not too bad if the entire enclosure gets that warm for a short time during a hot day, but constant exposure to that temperature with no way to escape is very dangerous. Ideally, snakes will always have the option of accessing a temperature of around 25 degrees or less. It's not a big deal if this isn't available 24 hours per day every day, but it's absolutely essential for almost all species that they can get below around 30 for most of most days if they want to.

For future reference, don't handle snakes at all until they've settled in and have established a regular feeding pattern.

She was probably refusing to eat because she was too hot. At that temperature she would have struggled to properly digest the feed and it would have either poisoned her or forced her to regurgitate (instinctively knowing this will almost always make them refuse to eat in extreme conditions).

If you ever see a red mark like that it's either from some sort of physical or chemical injury, or (almost always) it's an indication that something is dangerously wrong with the environment and requires immediate correction.

I strongly recommend you do a fair bit more research before getting any more reptiles, and ideally find someone who is experienced keeping them who you can chat to frequently about what you're doing.

Sorry you've gone through this, plenty of lessons to be learned and hopefully not repeated.

Okay, first of all, unfortunately some of this may be unpleasant to read, and I want to say that I don't want you to feel bad, I'm just throwing up some necessary information. We're all human and make mistakes, the important thing is that we do our best and when we do make mistakes we learn from them and don't repeat them.

Sorry to say, it sounds like she was slowly cooked. It's important to give snakes access to a relatively cool temperature. If they're constantly forced to endure high temperatures it will cause problems. We can survive in 40 degrees for a few hours, maybe a few days, but eventually at 40 degrees we will die. A constant 34 degrees will definitely at least have contributed, especially if your reading was slightly off. The skin lesions were likely low level burns/heat damage from chronic low level heat exposure.

A warm end/area of 34 degrees is great for Carpet Pythons and it's not too bad if the entire enclosure gets that warm for a short time during a hot day, but constant exposure to that temperature with no way to escape is very dangerous. Ideally, snakes will always have the option of accessing a temperature of around 25 degrees or less. It's not a big deal if this isn't available 24 hours per day every day, but it's absolutely essential for almost all species that they can get below around 30 for most of most days if they want to.

For future reference, don't handle snakes at all until they've settled in and have established a regular feeding pattern.

She was probably refusing to eat because she was too hot. At that temperature she would have struggled to properly digest the feed and it would have either poisoned her or forced her to regurgitate (instinctively knowing this will almost always make them refuse to eat in extreme conditions).

If you ever see a red mark like that it's either from some sort of physical or chemical injury, or (almost always) it's an indication that something is dangerously wrong with the environment and requires immediate correction.

I strongly recommend you do a fair bit more research before getting any more reptiles, and ideally find someone who is experienced keeping them who you can chat to frequently about what you're doing.

Sorry you've gone through this, plenty of lessons to be learned and hopefully not repeated.
Thanks for the info, though she did have a cool area. Her tank was about 60cm and the heat mat covered about 20cm of that so she did have the option of hot or cold.

the heat mat was under the whole tank.

Thanks for the info, though she did have a cool area. Her tank was about 60cm and the heat mat covered about 20cm of that so she did have the option of hot or cold.

I know this is all very stressful and sad, however please understand that those two statements mean two very different things.

(edited post for clarity)

I know this is all very stressful and sad, however please understand that those two statements mean two very different things.

(edited post for clarity)
Oml I'm stupid I thought they meant under the whole tank as in not in the actual tank I forgot that they might've been talking about area [emoji2356]

Back