Snake Not Eating! Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edan2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have had my murray darling python 3 weeks now and so far have been unable to entice her to eat.

I have tried leaving the thawed warm mice in her enclosure, placing her with the mice in a small container for a few hours, sprinkled the mice with Lizard maker in both cases. Still she does not eat.

I am not getting much sleep and feeling rather depressed. Her skin is starting to hang. She has a heat pad, and as I stay up late the light is fleurescent at night.

I have not tried live prey yet as it is not easy to by in Sydney.

Please help.

Edan

If she's still not eating it would probably be worth your while to give Mike at Cannon and Ball a call - 02 4229 8888 he generally has some good tips that he will give over the phone.
You defiantly want her to start eating before it gets really cold

Saikrett - Why don't you try one of the many other pet shops right near the Sutho one. There's Kirrawee Pic-a-pet next to Kirrawee station (A friend of mine owns it, and he'll get stuff in for you if he doesnt have it), there's one at Gymea, Petcare 2000 at Taren Point, etc...

Be persistant and keep trying Edan.
Perhaps your snake is a little uncomfortable in its new enviornment,Try placing the food item in its hide as it may feed in confinement.You could also drop the prey onto the snake while it is coiled up,this usually triggers a defense where it may feed.Or you could try placing a skinks tail out of the mouth of the mouse.In any case the best time to try all of the above would be at night in darkness while your snake is most active.
Best of Luck!

Hey there, I know your pain! I had a new hatchling python arrive recently and it took him/her a long time to eat! Had me stressed out to no end, until I had some good advice from the breeder - don't stress out your snake by sticking food under its nose at every opportunity! Let it get used to its surroundings - usually they won't eat until they're totally comfortable. Make sure you have a nice heat gradient going and ideal conditions for it, let it get settled in by leaving it alone for a week or so (I know it's hard, but it's for the good!) and then try it again. I'm assuming you bought the snake knowing it had already fed - if it's already fed it's going to feed later on - it knows how to do it. Just let it relax. It doesn't require very much energy to live, remember they can go for months in the wild without any food! so yeah. I guess the main point is - don't convey your stress onto it - let it get used to its new enclosure and try it in a few days time :)
Good luck!

- liedra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back