Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanii

Reaction score
Hiya everyone :)
Boots (my albino darwin carpet python) wasnt originally mine but the ex owner (my ex) was a **** owner whod throw her around, so i took her. So i dont know much about snakes, so sorry if this is a stupid advice request.

Shes refusing to eat, this is the first time shes ever turned down food before.
I bought the rat today and its a little smaller than it usually is, but I defrosted it and when i was about to feed her i noticed the rats nose is ******* out blood. But I offered it too her anyway and even though shes a day late for feeding (shes eaten two weeks ago) shes avoiding it. I've had her for about two years now and shes never been a fussy eater.
Should i be worried?

Also, a few weeks ago i was chilling with her and she started stretching out, but upwards. I thought nothing of it cause she was still eating, could that have something to do with why shes stopped eating now?

I took a photo and attached it, its kinda blurry but thats how she was laying for about 20 minutes, dead still.
13275858_1335602359802561_442856499_n.jpg

Its a bit hard to diagnose anything over the internet, but refusing to feed at times is very common and there are many reasons why they do this. If it's a day or two I wouldn't be worried, I would start to worry after many months. The blood from the rat shouldn't be an issue either. Where do you live, has there been a change in the environment (sudden cold snap), Have you moved houses or changed the enclosure/setup, moved the enclosure, changed routine? What heat setup are you running if any at all?

Welcome to APS! :)
It could just be the cooler months coming in. Regardless of where you live, snakes are very alert to the slightest change in weather. If the snake is at least 2, it could be off its food for this reason.

I agree with PF.
It's winter, feeding has never been an issue in 2 years but suddenly?
Look at anything other than the winter facotor that has changed recently though to be sure. Have you moved the enclosure, changed food types or supplier, strange smells or unusual loud noise around the place. Check all the husbandry factors such as temperature, have you moved his favourite hide, anything at all that could upset him.
If there is nothing changed then it's probably down to being more interested in finding a mate to snuggle with over the winter period.

Do some research on brumation. It might help you to understand a little more.
Nice animal by the way

My guess is its coming up to shedding. At the age/size of that snake, dont worry if it misses a feed or three. Let us know if it sheds its skin in the next week.

As has already been said, missing a meal is not a big deal (usually), a healthy adult snake should be able to go months without eating and will barely lose any weight. While refusing to eat can signal that there is a problem, at this time of year it is much more likely temperature related. Keep an eye on the snake for any other signs of unusual behaviour but no need to worry too much. You could weigh your snake every week or 2 to check there is no significant weight loss, particular if it continues to refuse food. If she is still moving (or sleeping) normally then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. eg. at this time of year my bredli is still active most nights and will be perched on her branch waiting for food, while my woma, being the sook that she is, is curled up on her heat mat but still moves positions regularly. If either of them changed in this behaviour i would think it odd and keep a closer eye on them. So if your snake is still doing what it would normally do at this time of year then it is most likely fine.

Have you tried changing the movie? Maybe its not an appetite stimulant!

I'd be off my food if it was Snakes on a Plane.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I have the same worry, my gtp has stopped eating for about six weeks now, he usually eats well but at the moment he seems more interested in striking my hand then eating a thawed out weaner. He recently moved houses and has shed two weeks ago but had also refused food before the move. Hes refused four rats so far. He's four years old and male, is it seasonal fasting or is something up? The vet said I should wait two months before bringing him in. Humidity 35-75% mister, temp 26-31degrees celc.he's travelled before fine too.

Very worried about him, I don't want him getting sick! I've had him for 1.5 yes eating and shedding well and have had pythons before so I don't know what else it can be.

Stop worrying, he is now sexually matured and has other things on his mind than food at this time of the year.

Hey all,

I have the same worry, my gtp has stopped eating for about six weeks now, he usually eats well but at the moment he seems more interested in striking my hand then eating a thawed out weaner. He recently moved houses and has shed two weeks ago but had also refused food before the move. Hes refused four rats so far. He's four years old and male, is it seasonal fasting or is something up? The vet said I should wait two months before bringing him in. Humidity 35-75% mister, temp 26-31degrees celc.he's travelled before fine too.

Very worried about him, I don't want him getting sick! I've had him for 1.5 yes eating and shedding well and have had pythons before so I don't know what else it can be.

Typical male Morelia behaviour - it may not feed for 4-5 months, maybe even more, and is often accompanied by increased "prowling" activity at night. Don't bother wasting food until you see the usual nocturnal ambush pose (hanging head-down from a perch) return later in the year, any time between now and October-November. The snake will be fine.

Jamie

He's keen on making some sweet lovin instead of eating. He'll come round to food. Please dont force feed him. Just wait for him to get keen on food again

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

It's winter !It's breeding season ! Do some research ...... but not on this site.I never feed any of my snakes between April and September. Never a problem .

l have a pair of adult NT Olive Python's and l have notice for the 1st time this year, that my female Olive Python, as been refusing to eat since mid June 2016, it is now 8 weeks since she had her last adult rat where the male Olive Python, keep on eating when ever l offer him a adult rat.

The good thing about my female Olive Python, every morning before she climbs out of her enclosure she will first come over to me, then she will go back inside her enclosure to the water bowl to get a drink of water, so that is a good sign that nothing is wrong with her at all.

l know the winter season here in Melbourne as been much cooler this year, so she is most likely put of from eating cause of the cooler months this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back