Snake Repellent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on snakemesh fencing alone? We have an area about an acre, with a 4.5' high snake mesh fence that goes into the ground, some people say that will stop hatching brown snakes and I assumed adults are unlikely to climb over it. The gate is the only real obvious weak point as it relies on being covered with sand which washes away in extreme rain or fails if the gate is not pushed into it properly. Planning to replace the gate soon, so keen to hear any more info about how you do them.

There have been a fair few snakes and legless lizards getting in. However they are climbing species or species that would fit though as hatchlings.

Any further info would be great appreciated, thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.

Snake mesh (snake wire) seems to be pretty effective in keeping the larger subadult and adult vens at bay however it has little effect on hatchlings and juveniles. I think the best way to try and limit their access is to go around the bottom of the outside of the wire with corrugated iron or colourbond to a height of about 30 - 50cm to form a solid barrier (as long as you overlap and rivet the sheets securely you'd probably get away with overlapping lengths horizontally rather than vertically. Gaps created where corners come together can be covered with either flywire or shadecloth). I know it sounds like a big job but it's probably the only way that you'd have a chance to keep hatchies and juveniles out. Gates are always the week point. What I've done in the past is to take the snake wire down to the bottom of the gate and then tie a smaller piece that is wider than the gap between the bottom of the gate and ground level across the length of the gate. Alternatively as long as it's weighted down you might be able to use shadecloth here as well. This allows the attached piece to be flexible and bend as the gate is opened and closed and limits as much of the gap as possible when the gate is closed.

I can't guarantee that this will be 100% foolproof but it should at least have an effect on limiting access to those unwanted vens.

Sorry for the late reply.

Snake mesh (snake wire) seems to be pretty effective in keeping the larger subadult and adult vens at bay however it has little effect on hatchlings and juveniles. I think the best way to try and limit their access is to go around the bottom of the outside of the wire with corrugated iron or colourbond to a height of about 30 - 50cm to form a solid barrier (as long as you overlap and rivet the sheets securely you'd probably get away with overlapping lengths horizontally rather than vertically. Gaps created where corners come together can be covered with either flywire or shadecloth). I know it sounds like a big job but it's probably the only way that you'd have a chance to keep hatchies and juveniles out. Gates are always the week point. What I've done in the past is to take the snake wire down to the bottom of the gate and then tie a smaller piece that is wider than the gap between the bottom of the gate and ground level across the length of the gate. Alternatively as long as it's weighted down you might be able to use shadecloth here as well. This allows the attached piece to be flexible and bend as the gate is opened and closed and limits as much of the gap as possible when the gate is closed.

I can't guarantee that this will be 100% foolproof but it should at least have an effect on limiting access to those unwanted vens.

Thanks for the reply, I suspected the claims it would stop hatchlings browns were BS but I havn't ever seen a newly hatched one, so wasn't sure. There is always plenty of food around, so they shouldn't stay small for long, the problem would be if they get in and grow to big to get out again.

I was thinking about making some ramps up the inside of the fence to allow snakes to climb out. Maybe something like 50mm drainage pipe at a 45 degree incline attached to the fence. Do you think something like that could help or would it be a waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back