Snake smugglers feel the squeeze

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
re Snake

id love a hog nosed.

cant you go herping for corns in sydney?

They were reputed to be in the hawkesbury area but dont know anyone thats caught any,most are caught by wires and are escaped pets,the presence of wild corn populations was reported by DECC so that they could gain funding to do what DECCs do,probably have a round up of corn snakes in helicopters and put pic of photo in sunday paper.

Does anyone know or have ever heard of anybody keeping the New zealand green gecko's here in Australia?

the first rule of Nautilinus is no-one talks about Nautilinus.

i think you would be the last person anyone would tell, so why ask?

Why do you say that carpetmuncher ?, do you think I put this clown in or something?. Instead of snide remarks, how about you say what your really thinking or shut your mouth.

Call me nuts but I don't care what happens to the idiot. I just hope that they find a home for them and not put the snakes down.

Touché Dave :)

watch out you'll be on the APS mafia hit list now.
And the site will lose yet another old school knowledgeable contributor.

It will be interesting to see if the WA Authorities actual punishes this person to the full extent of the law or they get a light slap on the wrist which seems to be the norm?

Last edited:

Jeez, you're keen to get amongst this story mate..posts...new threads on same..why?... oh!

Thought this was APS for a minute
smiley.gif
I love stiring up the the APS lynch mob when I get a chance
rolleyes.gif

I like this site being friendly though
grin.gif

I don't see whats so hard about living by the laws we have though. Sure I'd like a diamond, but I can't so end of story... not worth the risk I say, to yourself and the native population of herps..

From here
Good to see youre a muppet on each site ;)

A recent Victorian case regarding GTP's being imported from South Africa, discussed widely here and on APS attracted more than just a slap on the wrist.. I wondered if this was indicative of a change in attitude from the authorities.

Touché Dave :)

watch out you'll be on the APS mafia hit list now.
And the site will lose yet another old school knowledgeable contributor.

It will be interesting to see if the WA Authorities actual punishes this person to the full extent of the law or they get a light slap on the wrist which seems to be the norm?

although a recent victorian corns snake case got a 500 fine and no conviction so i wonder if its a sudden change from the authorities or the luck of the draw

said befor ill say again!! :p....as i believe SOME exotics should be allowed,to open up a broader horizon for some herpers who have a interest in other reptiles that australia do not have,why should it be illegal and looked down on for a Aussie who has a interest in SOME exotics (as i do believe some exotics should NOT be allowed over here!)..but what about ,corn snakes,house snakes,leopard gecko's,anoles,chameleons,Iguanas for example,how would n e of those species threaten our enviroment if they get loose?..now dont get me wrong,they should never be loose even if they wont threaten our enviroment..as this is about KEEPING exotics not releasing them..and i dont see any reason why we cant keep SOME exotics (if the goverment does it properly with quarantine and with breeding exotics in australia so we dont have to import and bring in diseases)..and we ALL know IF DONE PROPERLY with lisences,laws and restriction there are SOME exotics that could easily be bred & kept in australia that could NEVER threaten the inviroment..so again..why not! why cant we keep SOME exotcis with laws...im sick of Axolotles,what makes them so special that they can be exotic and be in australia! ahahaha..any way
cheers
icon_biggrin.gif
:)

A recent Victorian case regarding GTP's being imported from South Africa, discussed widely here and on APS attracted more than just a slap on the wrist.. I wondered if this was indicative of a change in attitude from the authorities.

True herptrader but what was the end result? Last i had heard it was a $3000 fine with other charges pending. But he got to keep his licence and animals or am i wrong?

No, people should mind their own business..... lol at the "high and mighty" "narks".

And before you start i dont keep exotics and wouldnt, however i dont care if others do or not, its up to them, good luck to them! There's bigger problems out their than illegal animals, contrary to what alot of you think

Hey, fully agreed - there's WAY bigger problems than smuggling of illegal animals... But this one, I am siding with customs (doing their job) and the correct authorities - that's what they're employed to do.

But above all - it's the animal's welfare I am more concerned with.

Remember the shinglebacks in the socks saga?

Most of those animals suffer too much - and that should be a major concern.

The bigger problems are there too - but smaller problems left unchecked become bigger problems in the future.

True herptrader but what was the end result? Last i had heard it was a $3000 fine with other charges pending. But he got to keep his licence and animals or am i wrong?

I thought it was more than that. I also have some recollection that there was some follow up legal action that added to it. I also believe he lost all of his animals and his licence.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=10196

If he lost his licence and collection that is a good thing and should serve as a deterrent for others thinking about similar ideas.

I for one would be devastated if I lost my collection due to a stupid situation like keeping exotics illegally.
Don’t get me wrong there are some top looking animals overseas but we have laws for a reason. Hence why I’d never put myself in that sort of situation to risk my animals.
Some obviously think the risk worth taking.

Do the crime do the time.

The GTP person only got $3000 and did keep his license and all his other animals.

When this does go to court Im expecting a much bigger fine. The thing going against him here is that he was caught in WA. WA does have a history of handing out much harsher penalties than other states for reptile related offenses. Those that were caught in QLD will get a much less fine.

Last edited:
I agree you play with fire sooner or later you get burnt. No use lashing out on others when you flirt with legalities. Its pretty comical for him to previously openly talk about getting them in a public forum for the world to see.

re Snake

Punnishment for some guy with some corn snakes or boas has to be taken into context,you do little time here for assault or murder,even when my 87 year old mother was home invaded andshook round by a young woman it didnt make the papers.Its a whole lot of crap rangers running round about snakes and when i get the house done over by thieves it takes three days to get the police to do fingerprints because they havent the manpower.

The GTP person only got $3000 and did keep his license and all his other animals.

When this does go to court Im expecting a much bigger fine. The thing going against him here is that he was caught in WA. WA does have a history of handing out much harsher penalties than other states for reptile related offenses. Those that were caught in QLD will get a much less fine.

Bushfire,
The keeper in mention was later fined in the vicinity of $30 000, not $3000

Call me old fashioned, but 30K is a lot of money to be out of pocket.

Viridis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back