Snake Species Identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoogs

Reaction score
G'Day All,

Just hoping someone who knows a lot more than me might be able to have a look at these pics and identify the snake species.

Was found in my backyard in Mackay, Central Queensland. I am only curious as I have a young daughter who often plays in the yard.

I am thinking possibly a "Lesser Black Whip Snake" (Demansia Vestigiata), but again, was hoping someone more intelligent than me could confirm or deny this.

Apologies about the low quality pics... He wasn't too happy with my presence and not knowing what it was, I didn't want to antagonize him by getting any closer.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 357
I am no expert on snakes but possibly a Whipped Snake?
i'm thinking the same, maybe a yellow faced whip snake????
if you type it in on google it's a yellow faced- because it has that black and yellow around it's eye

I am thinking possibly a "Lesser Black Whip Snake" (Demansia Vestigiata), but again, was hoping someone more intelligent than me could confirm or deny this.

I'm thinking you are correct.

Its a Lesser Black Whip Snake Demansia vestigiata.

If you look at the eye it doesn't have the "tear drop" yellow surrounding it like a Yellow Faced.

Here is another from Central QLD, closer look at the eye.

errr090.jpg

Last edited:
are whip snakes lethal, i was thing of getting one ?

Not unless you have a reaction to the venom. It is often recommended to go to the hospital if you get bitten by one that is over 1.5m. Theyre generally considered to be relatively harmless though

Yellow faced whip snakes are a beautiful animal, apparently pretty fiesty though and the hatchlings bite readily. I plan to get one next year, they'll be a bit of fun at least :)

No they are not lethal (except in the case of allergic reaction) but they are venomous with a bite causing localised pain, swelling and possibly other severe symptoms. A bite, especially of children or from a large specimen, should be treated as serious, correct first aid applied and medical help sought.

Can't get Kimberleys in Vic, sorry i-snake.

Whats this rubbish about identifying a snake correctly?? Thats not the APS way!
Ahem
Its a KEELBACK.
Its ALWAYS a keelback.

Its a vestigiata......and there was a death recorded (not allergic reaction) from one of these in PNG.....

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back