Snake takes food but doesn't eat, why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profanicus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, my Bredli is a couple of years old and every now and again she feeds but doesn't actually eat.

She's obviously hungry, and has been in her ambushing position every night for a while. She strikes immediately and constricts the rat (defrosted and warmed up). But she doesn't eat it, next morning she is still there holding onto it uneaten. Anyone explain what is going on here? The temps are 27-33.

shes saving it for later , sorry really dont know but thats quiet odd

She might think there to big for her. My waters when through a patch of this. I just downed her food size to a fuzzy and worked her back up to small adults over six weeks or so.

Well my water python is starting her shed cycle and wasnt sure if she would take it she striked and coiled but didn't eat this due to shed so I took it off her and gave it to my olive instead

As soon as she grabs it throw a towel over the cage so she cant see anyone

Pretty sure it's not shyness related, she had a hold of it all night in the dark by herself. She is still pretty keen on keeping it, hissing and gripping tighter if I try to move it. And is kind of trying to eat it ... sniffing around the area and she keeps biting the tail but letting it go.

Also not shed related, she shed a couple of weeks ago.

edit: she finally ate it, 20 hours after first grabbing hold of it. I think she was really having trouble locating a spot to start from, she was not interested in the head and ended up grabbing a rear leg and going from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back