Snake won’t go to heat mat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
muesli bar boxes are great

@pythoninfinite i understand theres infections that can cause these diseases, however where do infections come from? they dont just suddenly say "this is the snake im going to infect" - there has to be something that carried it, and came into contact. which would then be a quarantine/husbandry thing.

I admit i worded my message bad, but i was in a grumpy mood after my cat woke me up and it was the first thing i saw was that "it kept coming back"
I understand, but that kinda hurt because her husbandry was not bad. I honestly did everything I could. It may have been from the breeder.

@Bl69aze . A little understanding of communicable (infectious) diseases would help here.
Infectious diseases are disorders caused by organisms — such as bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites, that can be transferred from one organism to another. Wikipedia quote: “An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has become infected with a pathogen, but who display no signs nor symptoms. Although unaffected by the pathogen themselves, carriers can transmit it to others.” So no amount of quarantining will enable you to identify a carrier organism as being infected. This can occur with viruses or bacteria or even other infectious pathogens. Thankfully this is relatively uncommon.

Viruses and bacteria have an incubation period between when they first infect an organism and when they become active and the organism starts to show signs and symptoms of that infection. Bacterial incubation is normally a matter of days but viruses can vary from a matter of days to years, depending on the type of virus and environmental triggers within the infected organism.

Certain active viruses can predispose organisms to secondary infections by bacteria. The type of bacterial infections depends upon the type of virus. Sometimes, despite the use of appropriate antibiotics to clear up such bacterial infections, they repeatedly recur due to viral suppression of the immune response to that particular infection.

Viruses, bacteria and animal cells vary in size. However, if we do a really rough comparison of average volumes of each, a bacterium is about one thousand times the volume of a virus, and an animal cell is about one thousand times the size of a bacterium. Therefore an animal cell is about one million times the size of an animal cell. That might give you some indication of just how ridiculously difficult it is to locate a virus in cells. It is often initially diagnosed by some visible effect the virus has on a cell, but you need to know which cells to look at and hopefully jag one that has the virus present. Once the identify a virus and which cells it affects and how, they can look at those particular ells in the hope of locating one that gives a positive result. With more advanced understanding of a virus, it may be possible to identify chemicals produces by the presence of the virus, including antibody proteins produced by the infected organisms’ immune system. However it takes many years of intensive research to get to that stage.

Hope that helps Blake.

Last edited:
@Bl69aze . A little understanding of communicable (infectious) diseases would help here.
Infectious diseases are disorders caused by organisms — such as bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites, that can be transferred from one organism to another. Wikipedia quote: “An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has become infected with a pathogen, but who display no signs nor symptoms. Although unaffected by the pathogen themselves, carriers can transmit it to others.” So no amount of quarantining will enable you to identify a carrier organism as being infected. This can occur with viruses or bacteria or even other infectious pathogens. Thankfully this is relatively uncommon.

Viruses and bacteria have an incubation period between when they first infect an organism and when they become active the organism starts to show signs and symptoms of that infection. Bacterial incubation is normally a matter of days but viruses can vary from a matter of days to years, depending on the type of virus and environmental triggers within the infected organism.

Certain active viruses can predispose organisms to secondary infections by bacteria. The type of bacterial infections depends upon the type of virus. Sometimes, despite the use of appropriate antibiotics to clear up such bacterial infections, they repeatedly recur due to viral suppression of the immune response to that particular infection.

Viruses, bacteria and animal cells vary in size. However, if we do a really rough comparison of average volumes of each, a bacterium is about one thousand times the volume of a virus, and an animal cell is about one thousand times the size of a bacterium. Therefore an animal cell is about one million times the size of an animal cell. That might give you some indication of just how ridiculously difficult it is to locate a virus in cells. It is often initially diagnosed by some visible effect the virus has on a cell, but you need to know which cells to look at and hopefully jag one that has the virus present. Once the identify a virus and which cells it affects and how, they can look at those particular ells in the hope of locating one that gives a positive result. With more advanced understanding of a virus, it may be possible to identify chemicals produces by the presence of the virus, including antibody proteins produced by the infected organisms’ immune system. However it takes many years of intensive research to get to that stage.

Hope that helps Blake.
I think I remember hearing some of those words in Biology class when I was still in school

I think I remember hearing some of those words in Biology class when I was still in school
??? I have endeavoured to help you understand what people are on about when they talk about viruses and the effects they can have. You have been told that there are half a dozen or more serious viruses that are here in Australia in captive collections. Given your spurious response, I am glad I did not go into any more detail tan I did and shall be more circumspect in future. I apologise for evidentally wasting your time.

??? I have endeavoured to help you understand what people are on about when they talk about viruses and the effects they can have. You have been told that there are half a dozen or more serious viruses that are here in Australia in captive collections. Given your spurious response, I am glad I did not go into any more detail tan I did and shall be more circumspect in future. I apologise for evidentally wasting your time.
i was on the bus changing station bus, i took note and am happy for your notes, however i dont know what half those words even mean, and as i wrote, i remember hearing them in class, but..... didnt take note.

but from what i do understand is that... the virus did come from another carrier, whether human or reptile, yes?

If you don’t know what a particular word means, then look it up. That way you learn, and can understand what is being said here. Check out “virus” and “antibody” for starters – that’ll help.
I have two dictionaries that I have had for many, many years, and I still use them (along with the net ones now). We can always learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back