Snakes,Eggs,Eyes,Food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a few things and have put 2 and 2 and 2 together and come up with 7.

1. The diamond python I posted abouth the other day (Solitaire) was missing an eye. He was next to the chook house and I've relocated more than a few different diamonds from that area.

2. The snake wrangler (yesterday on Foxtel) mentioned that a lot of the Tiger snakes from Carnack Island WA are blinded by the gulls as a result of the snakes love for the young gulls.

3. Richard Shine - Australian Snakes a Natural History has a picture of a Water Python that has swallowed a goose egg.

My question is can you feed pythons with chook eggs and is it likely to be good or bad for them. Anyone got any experience of knowledge of this. :?:

I would think any snake could eat any egg and get nutrition from it, I would imagine digestion period would be somewhat extended unless the egg was cracked during swallowing?

Have wondered about this myself. I know that wild pythons are known to eat eggs and thought it would be a good source of vitamins etc. I know that some snakes can swallow the egg and then break it while it is in their stomach but don't know about Aussie pythons for this. I think the big prob would be getting the snake to actually eat the egg, that is why I haven't tried it at all.

Why are eggs bad for lizards Alexhander? I haven't heard that before. I know all the Lacy's up here love 'em, we are forever having to remove them from the vicinity of people chook runs. :? BTW, they swallow them whole and I think the local record is 17 whole eggs regurgitated after being caught.

17 eggs Crikey!

You'd think that with that many eggs in its stomach and the acids that digests its food that the eggshells would give off so much CO2 that they'd get really bloated.

How do they handle it??? 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back