Snakes nostril has turned brown

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakes nostril has turned brown

• ?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be getting it checked out by a reptile vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like some form of skin cancer (if snakes can. Get it)

Definitely get checked by vet

Sorry but I find the advice/suggestions offered so far to be a little alarming and probably a bit quick without asking a couple of questions.
My first 2 are.......when did the animal last slough? And.......what substrate do you use?
Could just be a little damage from rubbing his nose.....could be ink/dye from substrate........could just be pigment change.........could be a bit of retained skin from the last slough.
Either way the pic's aren't that flash and while it could potentially be something more sinister lets try to examine the basics before we throw the OP into a frightened frenzy.

Need better pics to give any serious opinion?
Albinos are supposed to be prone to skin cancer and don't like sunshine or uv globes but I have a lot of them and have never had any such problem.
Have you observed it rubbing on anything? I did have a problem with an albino that developed an obsession with rubbing her head on her flower pot hide, like she was scratching an irritation, (there was no visible sign of any cause and she had always shed perfectly) this got serious, removing the pot only caused her to seek out other hard surfaces and I had to isolate her in a small tub with no furnishings and regularly treat the injury with F10 ointment. It healed very quickly as you can see by the photo dates and she is back in her original cage and has shown no signs of repeating the behaviour for almost 2 years now. There were no visible signs of the injury after 3 months.
Perhaps albinos are more sensitive to skin irritation but I have kept a lot of them for over 12 years and not had a similar problem.

DSCN5311.jpg DSCN5395.jpg

I'm with Pauls_Pythons. Either your python is coming into shed, or possibly has some retained shed around the front of its head. Have you noticed any behaviour changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back