Snakes not recommended as pets

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Harimoni Proudswift, May 19, 2018.

1. Ella C

Ella C Not so new Member

Is he venomous? Aren't all Australian tarantulas venomous?

2. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

Only when they are on the other side of the glass

Bl69aze likes this.
  3. Imported_tuatara

Imported_tuatara Well-Known Member

All spiders are venomous :p

4. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Australian Tarantulas are venomous... if one bit us, we would experience severe localised pain and swelling and not a whole lot more, however, Australian tarantula bites spell death for domestic pets (cats & dogs).... interestingly though domestic pets are immune to funnelweb bites... the Toowoomba funnelweb for example would put me in a box 6ft under in a matter of minutes whereas my Jack Russell Terrier wouldn't be bothered by it at all. Crazy stuff.

5. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Almost all, but there are actually a few rare exceptions.

As for the original topic, I think snakes are brilliant pets. According to some definitions they're not strictly 'pets' but we don't have another word in English to call captive animals kept for enjoyment which are not domesticated or tamed. No one seems to have this argument about fish for some reason, even though they are usually not tamed and often aren't in any way 'domesticated'.

If you want something to love and cuddle which will love and cuddle you back, sure, they're terrible, but I figure that's what women are for, not so much animals, at least for me personally (not that I don't appreciate sharing affection with friendly animals, but it's not my personal favourite way to give and receive affection). Each to their own, of course. Some people love fish or pot plants or stamp collections. There are plenty of positives to all these things, and it all comes down to individual taste and circumstance. As far as animal keeping goes, snakes are absolutely perfect for many people, myself included. If I didn't have humans to interact with, then yes, I'd probably have a collection of cats and dogs and weasels and stuff.

6. Ella C

Ella C Not so new Member

Sounds like fun..
    You ever been bitten? I suppose it makes maintaining the enclosures difficult?

7. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Hi, no, never been bitten. Anytime I'm going near my spiders, it's from behind the safety of 14' stainless steel tongs. Maintaining the enclosures are easy, 98% of the time they retreat to their burrows as soon as they're disturbed. :) If they don't, I gently blow a little puff of air on them and they quickly run down their burrow. :p