Snakes tail got stuck in the viv door

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah Jane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I feel so bad right now. I was cleaning my girls enclosure as I do every time she poops and as I put her back in, I had hold of her tail end to push the rest of her in so that incidents such as this would not happen but the very, very end of her tail got stuck in the door as I closed it.
She didn’t writhe around or anything like that, just wiggled a lot because she wanted to get free but I’m not familiar with snakes bodily responses when they’re in pain and therefor I don’t know how much pain she’s in. I of course got her tail out of there as soon as I could within seconds but I could cry right now, I feel AWFUL.
Her tail is not kinked and when I touched it or lightly held it to see if there was any pain response, she flung it away from me as she normally does if I hold her tail, so there was nothing out of the ordinary. Then she continued exploring her enclosure.

I’ll include a picture of around about where her tail got caught.

My question is, what should I look out for if anything is wrong? Are there any specific pain responses that snakes have? I’m sorry if this seems over the top but she’s family and I feel so bad about this :(

View media item 458

Doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about. I'm not sure how old or what species your snake is, some species have more sensitive tails and younger snakes are more likely to have problems, but unless you're extraordinarily unlucky (the odds are so small it's not worth worrying about) the worst case scenario is a bit of a kink in the tail when the snake grows a bit older and larger. Even if they have the end of their tails injured badly enough that they're severed from the body (which you do see from time to time either from accidents or sloughing issues), if it's only the very end of the tail it heals well in almost every case and doesn't harm the snake.

If you can say what type of snake, the age and size, and where the injury occurred (how close to the end of the tail) I can say a bit more, but it really sounds like you're just doting over her so hard that you're freaking out over nothing like a first time mum. Don't stress :)

Dear Sarah I am so sorry to hear about you and your beloved python. I agree with everything said by Sdaji. A very nice comment.

Personally I have a motto.

When in doubt check it out.

It can be very hard from just reading about an injury to diagnose a symptom or injury.

Best to if affordable to get a check up at your local vets.

I just had my big boys thorough yearly chech up done, it cost me only $74.

Obviously depending how far up the tail she may require an xray.

Our Herps become like beloved part of the family and if someone gets sick in the family and were not sure how to treat it we take them to the GP.

We can do the same with our Herps.

It may must take that heavey feeling of wworry and guilt away by knowing in the end everything is just fine.

Let me know how she goes.

Regards rob

Doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about. I'm not sure how old or what species your snake is, some species have more sensitive tails and younger snakes are more likely to have problems, but unless you're extraordinarily unlucky (the odds are so small it's not worth worrying about) the worst case scenario is a bit of a kink in the tail when the snake grows a bit older and larger. Even if they have the end of their tails injured badly enough that they're severed from the body (which you do see from time to time either from accidents or sloughing issues), if it's only the very end of the tail it heals well in almost every case and doesn't harm the snake.

If you can say what type of snake, the age and size, and where the injury occurred (how close to the end of the tail) I can say a bit more, but it really sounds like you're just doting over her so hard that you're freaking out over nothing like a first time mum. Don't stress :)
Thank you so much for that nice reply!
She is 3 years old and a jungle python. She’s about 5ft in length. I’m waiting on getting some proper scales to weigh her with because kitchen scales are too small now lol. I did attach an image to the original post but it may not have worked so I will reattach it here.
I’ve checked over her this morning and her tail is not kinked or swollen and she seems fine so that is a huge relief!

https://imgur.com/gallery/F7PV845
[doublepost=1554254159,1554254072][/doublepost]
Dear Sarah I am so sorry to hear about you and your beloved python. I agree with everything said by Sdaji. A very nice comment.

Personally I have a motto.

When in doubt check it out.

It can be very hard from just reading about an injury to diagnose a symptom or injury.

Best to if affordable to get a check up at your local vets.

I just had my big boys thorough yearly chech up done, it cost me only $74.

Obviously depending how far up the tail she may require an xray.

Our Herps become like beloved part of the family and if someone gets sick in the family and were not sure how to treat it we take them to the GP.

We can do the same with our Herps.

It may must take that heavey feeling of wworry and guilt away by knowing in the end everything is just fine.

Let me know how she goes.

Regards rob
Thank you for that reply Rob!

Nothing to worry about at all.

Even if it did drop off at the very there’d be nothing to worry about haha. You might get a speckle of blood

The picture didn't work, but she's not a baby so it's unlikely there will even be any cosmetic damage, and even if she was younger from the sounds of it it would have been unlikely.

Don't bother with a vet for this, it's like stubbing your toe or knocking your elbow on the edge of a table and rushing to hospital, except that instead of looking at you like an idiot they'll encourage you and gleefully accept your money while making excuses to encourage you back as often as possible. There's no visible damage, the snake responds to touch, so there's literally nothing a vet could do, and vets aren't magicians anyway, there are members of the forum here who know more than most herp vets. If you need surgery or medication or something then they can be useful, but for the most part they're literal con men and most are incompetent, including most of the ones with good reputations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back