Snappy lil Albino!! Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaela

Reaction score
I have a 10 months old Albino Darwin python who tends to be snappy every time I open her enclosure or get her out. She just does not seem to getting used to being handled and she hasn’t really calmed down at all since I have got her. Does anyone have any different techniques for calming a snappy python down? I just don't want her to grow up with an attitude problem :D

I hardly ever handle my young ones. They are pretty calm. The fact you are trying to handle it continually is putting stress on it.

Increased handling doesn't always calm a snake down. Some young ones will naturally calm with age esp if you can see that they're only biting out of fear. There's a few things to look at. Where does handling fit in with feeding? What is your technique for getting her out? Does she calm once out of her enclosure?

I have tried that. I don't her get her out every day. I am just seeing if there is some awesome way that other people do it that could be so much better lol. Or is it just better to wait until she gets some size to her.

There is a YouTube vid about handling snappy hatchies... Not got time to find right now but I'm sure someone may post it... Works a treat

I have two the same age but they are inherently calm. I basically stick my hand in and grab them. In the past I have found with bigger an grumpier cage defensive snakes that a hook is a great tool. You can stick it in and bring the snake up to your hand. It takes away the initial scare for the snake and forms part of a ritual that the snake appears to get used to - hook = holding.

Kaela, I have found that they just settle down in time. We have an albino boy that was like that...but not now. I just picked him up to clean and that was it. When they decide there is no danger they seem to quieten down JMO

Can you post a pic of the enclosure? Is it front or top opening? As someone else asked does the snake settle once it's out or does it stay aggressive?

Aside from what the others have said Lonqi rates the pillow case method, where you have a pillow case over each hand as you first handle the snake as it masks your heat signature and is not as threatening. You can then slip one case off at a time once the snake is out and is calm. Reaching down at them can be quite threatening to them so as much of a frontal approach as possible helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back