So angry right now

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really sorry mate. My heart broke every time I found another dead goanna, another dead frillie, another dead king brown another dead freshie when the buggers tore through the Top End. I kill the toads without mercy. I know it's not their fault but they are a fatal virus in the body of the environment and must be stopped whenever possible.

Get yourself another panoptes, take the precautions and reduce toads wherever you can. A tin of catfood next to where the tadpoles emerge brings in meat ants and they also eat all the toadlets. Most effective method I've come across yet courtesy of the aboriginal rangers in Arnhem Land.

Again, so sorry for you.

Dam %^*(*#$%^ cane toads.
He was such a handsome fella too.
How heartbreaking : (

it can happen to anyone given the right set of circumstances, I lost a lovely sandy that i raised from a tiny hatchy when we had the mouse plauge down here last year, little mouse that has eaten bait tiny hole and presto... sorry for your loss, and dont let it get you down, just take the proper precautions from now on.

Thats terrible.Sorry to hear about a pet being killed by a friggin cane toad

Very sad to here that. Far too many animals have gone this way.

Any ideas on how the toad got into the enclosure?

Real shame, sorry for your loss. All the best for future hoping nothing more happens to you like this.

thats horrible thats how your monitor died bloody rotten toads. i think its crap how they think its to inhumane to go around belting them with clubs and bats. like darwinbriant has suggested we should have a whacking day and the government to should come to terms with whats more important native wildlife or feral and make it illegal to walk past a cane toad and not kill it.

Thanks guys....I have been proactive and worked my but off this afternoon. Went and bought some vermin mesh and secured it around the bottom of the enclosure where the wall meets the floor. There were a few small gaps there, and the toad was only small. Wondered why it would want to be in there in the first place.....till I moved the substrate and found an abundance of cockroaches. Vivienne came out of her hide and watched me work, which was a treat in itself, as she is usually very reclusive. Now that the enclosure is safe......anybody got a male Panoptes that needs a home? lol Got 13 hatchling womas to offer lol......no seriously

Really sorry to hear about your loss. I understand how you feel: I have lost two male dragons this season from cane toads. Lesson learned for me: 2cm mesh wasn't small enough!

Last edited:
peter douch in north queensland may have a male he has a lot of monitors he has a add on the hero trader at the moment for mertens water monitors you can contact him and ask him through that

Really sorry to hear about your loss. I understand how you feel: I have lost two male dragons this season from cane toads. 2cm mesh wasn't small enough!
I bought vermin mesh from the hardware. Came in 20cm wide rolls and 90 cm wide rolls. Holes are 7mm i think

peter douch in north queensland may have a male he has a lot of monitors he has a add on the hero trader at the moment for mertens water monitors you can contact him and ask him through that
Thanks, will look him up

aww sorry for the los i would find out what killed it and if it was cane toads i would write letter to government of queensland about it there let the issue go on for to long and something needs to be done about them i wonder if this is the first time some ones lost a pet reptile from them maby a partison on here and send to to anna bligh or some thing migth help raise the issue in the goverments it will be intresting to here if this has happend to any one else as for procteding your moniters from them i dont know to meny thing that scaer cane toads on but you could try looking up some sort of deterint to keep them from going nere your enclosuer i feel sorry you lost a pet i think a few golf clubbings might get rid of the greath a bit so swing away i have no problem with it lol

It always hurts to lose a treasured pet. Clearly, most of us have been there and empathise wholeheartedly. It is hard to come to terms with, but we have no choice in that respect. My wish for you is that the feelings of loss and deprivation pass quickly, replaced by lots of memories of happier times.

As was suggested and as you recognised and already set about to rectify, correcting the shortcomings that allowed this to happen are your first priority. They will tell you that cane toads cannot climb. Generally speaking that is true. So a 50 cm fine mesh fence is normally adequate. However, toads are quite persistent and they will have a go at climbing a wire mesh fence. Even if one is successful out of 10, 000 attempts, that is one too many. So if you are going to use a barrier fence, the top section should slope outwards so that the toads are likely to loose their grip climbing 'upside down'.

My second tip is that you can buy rolls of plastic lawn edging from the hardware. These come in a variety of colours and are UV stabilised. The width varies but most are about 15 cm. A roll might be 15 or 30 m long. I cannot remember the cost but it is quite reasonable. This could be quite easily affixed to the bottom section of an exclusion fence. Only toads large enough to reach over the top of this border would have any chance of climbing the fence. I suspect that the lack of purchase with the hind limbs on the plastic is likely to prevent the majority of toads able to grasp the wire mesh from going any further.

Check it out and see what you think. If you have any questions, then post them or PM me. I am sure there are other efficient methods. So longas whatever you do works.

Cheers,
Bluey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back