So, I have a lost reptile in my possession...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naedezhda

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

First off, I am in Western Australia~

Well today, I found a western bluetongue in my yard. Now, I am quite experienced when it comes to bluetongues (Having been involved with wild ones since I was young and having cared for them whilst working at a wildlife center, plus I have been researching before getting my own for the past two years), and just from looking at its condition and behavior, plus the fact that westerns are never seen here, I am convinced he is in fact an escaped pet.

Now, Ive been keeping an eye out for any lost notices, and will be contacting our local CALM office on monday, as I presume them able to look through their licensing records to see if anyone in the area owns a western.

But, I have a few issues, mainly in regards to legality, nagging at the edge of my mind -

1. What if it turns out that there is no one with a western in the area? As if there isnt, I would think that he would have been kept illegally - What would happen to him? Is there any way I could be able to keep him if I were to obtain a license? If he is a pet, legal or not, I just dont think it would be right to just let him go, especially since they dont live here. And I dont want anything to happen to him in the event he is just a wild one in immaculate condition and far from home.

2. Could I be fined for keeping him? Would they understand my concerns about him possibly being a pet?

Im sure there were a few more, but I cant quite remember...

And info or advice is greatly appreciated :D

You could build im a pit and tell them he jumped in on his own if they ask :D

Hi everyone :D

First off, I am in Western Australia~

Well today, I found a western bluetongue in my yard. Now, I am quite experienced when it comes to bluetongues (Having been involved with wild ones since I was young and having cared for them whilst working at a wildlife center, plus I have been researching before getting my own for the past two years), and just from looking at its condition and behavior, plus the fact that westerns are never seen here, I am convinced he is in fact an escaped pet.

Now, Ive been keeping an eye out for any lost notices, and will be contacting our local CALM office on monday, as I presume them able to look through their licensing records to see if anyone in the area owns a western.

But, I have a few issues, mainly in regards to legality, nagging at the edge of my mind -

1. What if it turns out that there is no one with a western in the area? As if there isnt, I would think that he would have been kept illegally - What would happen to him? Is there any way I could be able to keep him if I were to obtain a license? No If he is a pet, legal or not, I just dont think it would be right to just let him go, especially since they dont live here. And I dont want anything to happen to him in the event he is just a wild one in immaculate condition and far from home.

2. Could I be fined for keeping him? Yes Would they understand my concerns about him possibly being a pet? Doubtful

Im sure there were a few more, but I cant quite remember...

And info or advice is greatly appreciated :D

Pm me with any questions

If they are not endemic to your area then just make him a nice enclosure and keep it hush hush lol

Yeah just keep it down low for awhile.. Just make sure you dont POst anything about it on the internet... Oh wait!! :p jks... As said look for the owner for awhile... If you cant the owner keep it or... Release it.. teach it how to be wild by just feeding it Snails and plants in an outdoor pit...

Thanks for the replies :D

I feel kind of sick with worry - If I am caught, will this prevent me from being allowed to legally obtain reptiles in the future? I have been aiming for a bluetongue these past 2 years, and to have all that time and money go down the drain because I wanted to help someone be possibly reunited with their pet...

And what about the vet if he gets sick? Would it be possible to have 2, a legal and him, then bring him in under the guise hes the legal one? (Gah, I really shouldnt put this out on the internet, but I seriously dont know what to do...)

You haven't stated what area? As blues are just about everywhere in wa.
You won't just be able to keep him/her. The process of obtaining a licence doesn't happen overnight. For you to be able to keep that one legal, you would 1 need a licence and 2 have to find a taker willing to "take" it for you so can be added on a licence then pay the takers royalties and for his time.
You are breaking the law with what you are doing now, I also belive he could quite possibly be a wild bluey that is used to humans.

You can google pilbara pythons and look at the distribution maps and see they are everywhere almost.

Last edited:
Ive been doing a lot of thinking taking into account everyones advice, and have decided.
I will call CALM to inquire as to whether anyone in my area owns a Western who is missing, as I have one in my yard who I suspect may be a pet and just wanted to double check. If yes, he will go home. If not, I honestly think he will make it outside - my yard is massive, safe and secure. Even if they do not live here, its not as if he can breed or anything, correct? I live along the coast, in the Jurien Bay area - Could they perhaps be rather rare, hence the reason in my years of living here myself and no one has ever seen one. (Ive shown people photos of both centralians and westerns when they asked what sort of reptile I am planning on getting).

There are not many people around this area, thus I dont think his friendliness is attributed to him being used to humans, however I am close enough to town for him to have possibly made it this far in a week. Various factors have me convinced that he could very well be a pet, but not being a domesticated species I do think he will make it in my yard.

The more and more I think about it, I truly do not want to keep him, as much as I would like too I had had enough of keeping reptiles illegally with my shingle I had when I was little (Come on, who hasnt done that?) I had him for many years, found it he was illegal to have, then spent a few more years constantly worrying, until he unfortunately passed. I dont want that again. Despite the fact I could keep an elephant here without people knowing, I am willing to spend all the extra money to have a legal animal, as I want to be able to have an awesome set up in my living room, I want be able to take him to the vet, tell people about him, not have to worry, not keep him hidden and secret. Plus, I will be moving to Perth soon for reasons, and thus might not be able to hide him.

Am I doing the right thing? I truly do hope so, otherwise I just dont know...

There must be alot of Blue tongue escapees, the amount of people who are convinced they are lost pets is staggering.

Really? I would honestly have thought that no one would have turned them in thinking they were just another bluetongue.

But I do feel I have had enough experience with bluetongues to at least be able tell the difference between a wild one, and one thats in too good shape to pass up the possibility of him being a pet. :D

Thank you for that Jonno - It certainly does make me feel better about releasing him, for his own well being, if he does in fact not have an owner. (Reptiles are fairly popular here, so I still will not pass up the possibility of him being a pet.) All it will take is a quick phone call hopefully to set things straight. No owner, and I can feel confidant about releasing him :D

Blueys are rediculously common in Jurien Bay, they even outnumber the Bobtails most of the time. Let it go, itll be fine doing what comes naturally.

Me and Lizardman5 found one like this
He was not worried and did't bite and this was in the middle on where
is it young? it may just be scared
but i mean who would know if yu did keep it?

Ive lived here for years and have only ever seen bobtails *shrug*

He is fairly young, but otherwise perfectly relaxed. Regardless though, as I mentioned before, if he can be released and live naturally and safely (Well, as safe as possible considering its 'the wild', I just mean that something like unnatural temps for his species wont harm him etc), I would prefer to do that. I dont want to risk fines, possibly not being able to obtain a license in the future etc just because I mistakenly took in a wild animal. Ive been through the whole 'keeping an illegal reptile' thing before, and to be honest having one thats legal that I can take to the vet, not having to worry about when it comes to say, rent inspections when I move, seems like it would be worth the extra initial cost :D

It's illegal to keep it, encouraging people publicly to break the law and or actually breaking the law by keeping it risks casting other hobbyists in WA in a bad light, when they already have a difficult enough time with discriminatory keeping legislation as it is.
With your abundant experience Naedezhda you would know that it occurs in your area and is likely wild so do the right thing and let it go, DEC (CALM) will never let you keep it anyway so don't bother asking.

Put it back where you found it, itll be fine. Ive herped that area a fair bit and seen multiple Blueys every time. Blueys look good in most circumstances, i see 100+ every year and rarely get a skinny or parasite affected one. The longer you have it boxed up the worse off itll be, get it back before it loses too much condition.

You'll find the cost not that much, a captive bred bluey is only about $110, your licence about $40 (I think I've never had a cat 2 licence) and you build your pit.

Despite how much Ive dealt with bobtails and other wild reptiles in this area (From general herping, to assisting a local wildlife carer with sick wild ones to removing them from the school basketball court), I genuinely was unaware that western bluetongues lived here. As I have had the intention of obtaining a centralian, I have always thought them to live further south and thus havent researched otherwise. I now know. As I said earlier, I have no longer an intention of keeping him now that I am confident that he will be fine outside - I was initially considering keeping him as I was unsure as to whether or not they usually lived here. I was wondering about whether or not CALM would consider allowing me to keep him if I expressed my concerns and they happened to agree with me. (ie: They too thought that they dont usually live here.)

Although to be completely honest I am very surprised that so many have suggested keeping him.

I currently have in a large enclosure complete with correct lighting and heating (which I have for my future centralian), and so he will be fine until tomorrow :D

And prettypython, thats exactly why I dont think its worth me keeping an illegal one (Although WA licenses cost more I believe) - Its only going to be a few hundred at most, just not worth it to keep an animal I can release.

Last edited:
I wouldnt ask DEC, they dont know their **** from a hole in the ground at the best of times. Rest assured, the species is common in your area and the animal is just passing through. Tiliqua occipitalis is most common in coastal dune/ heath, Jurien Bay is perfect habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back