So is it true?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Amazon

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:#B200FF;">Amaz
Reaction score
Heard a whisper that an announcement will be made Monday in regards to pet stores in NSW being allowed to sell reptiles! Anyone else heard the same thing?

I hope they do but then at the same time I hope they don't.
i live in a town where there some dogy pet shops cats & dogs are keeped in way to small cages. Buys every think on a budget has birds in a small room with no vents or any think that just STINKS.
Once I went in there to ask her is she had any snake enclosures for a children pythons And she tried to sell me a 6ftx3ftx3ft fish tank with normal glass lids and she said this would be perfect for a children pythons?
I said it was way to big. She replied with " the bush is big mate " so I just left

then the next time I had some frozen rodents for sale and was going to sell them to her but she said " why are they frozen how is a snake going to get there natural
instinct.
So I really hope that pet shops doesn't sell reps

I'm on the fence with this one too!
I'd like to see more display animals than forsale animals.
It's scary to think most petshops wouldn't know one end from the other.
How are they going to advise a new owner unless they have experienced rep and that means money which they won't like paying.

And also most people don't buy from pet shop unless the really popular or reptile pacific.

I'm totally against it! I guess the good thing is that they need to think about it and apply for the correct license and not just impulse buy! Still don't agree tho!

That petshop In lismore is disgusting, she knows nothing about animals. How she is still in business shocks me.

- - - Updated - - -

That petshop In lismore is disgusting, she knows nothing about animals. How she is still in business shocks me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the one. If you been in there lately she keeps Jars of butter around the shop to catch all the fleas and flys 0_o

I don't agree with pet shops having animals, unless they are an experienced breeder wanting to display their animals to get more people interested in the hobby. I am absolutely terrified we will end up with a 'pets paradise' for reptiles.

I don't agree with pet shops having animals, unless they are an experienced breeder wanting to display their animals to get more people interested in the hobby. I am absolutely terrified we will end up with a 'pets paradise' for reptiles.

RedFox your state has been selling them for a while now? NSW hasn't and I agree that there is way too many pet shops that should already be shut down but what if for say a 20 yr experienced handler and breeder wanted to open a reptile pet shop that does have handling classes etc wouldn't that be more acceptable than a all animal shop.

If it is true, it will be interesting to see what animals will be on the list. Personally we buy from very few people (unless we know them or they have been recommended) in NSW because we have had too much wild caught rubbish that was supposed to be captive bred sent us. My concerns are the amount of wild caught animals that will probably end up in shops as it is virtually impossible for the authorities to control.

Amazing Amazon you maybe able to help me with question.
How does Quarintieen (can't spell) work when it comes to petshops?
With the animals coming from different breeders then housed close by wouldnt this have to be considered a problem?

I Dnt like the idea why do we need pet shops selling reptiles when we have ppl like snake ranch and all other breeders

only way id be comfortable with the idea is if the shops that wish to do it , legally have to have someone who can pass a test proving that they know enough about them to offer advice to newbies , and the test would also have to be made by someone with an understanding not just the usual paper pushers and if each shop was inspected say every 6 months at random by "undercover inspectors" that would be the only way id be happy with it otherwise i hope it never happens

Amazing Amazon you maybe able to help me with question.
How does Quarintieen (can't spell) work when it comes to petshops?
With the animals coming from different breeders then housed close by wouldnt this have to be considered a problem?
If you are talking legally, then there is no quarantine rules at all. For us it all comes down to who we buy off. We have been doing this for over 10 years so our suppliers are pretty much the same year after year.

Thank you I understand you would take Great care! But I am referring to NSW as they will want to be among the first in selling reps and this will jeopridised the industry in my opinion! As they won't be experienced nor will they pay for an experienced person to manage.

only way id be comfortable with the idea is if the shops that wish to do it , legally have to have someone who can pass a test proving that they know enough about them to offer advice to newbies , and the test would also have to be made by someone with an understanding not just the usual paper pushers and if each shop was inspected say every 6 months at random by "undercover inspectors" that would be the only way id be happy with it otherwise i hope it never happens
It would be great if there was some pre requisite before ANYONE was allowed to sell reptiles. In Victoria all you have to do is pay your $800, get your enclosures checked (not for how they are set up, just for suitable locks) and away you go. This is probably the main reason most shops have no idea what they are doing when it comes to reptiles as they do not need to know to get a dealers license!

- - - Updated - - -

I Dnt like the idea why do we need pet shops selling reptiles when we have ppl like snake ranch and all other breeders
Maybe you should give Ford a ring and ask them why they sell cars when Holden have plenty to choose from!

I posted in the other thread regarding this. Was told by a local pet shop owner this was the case. They didn't know regarding species etc. they were told every staff member would need to be certified

From what I have been told......it was supposed to be done on the quiet. And as you know...some cannot keep their big mouths shut, apparently pet shops were bombarding the OEH offices about getting a licence to sell etc. So the minister said stuff it, it can wait till next year. Monday's meeting has been cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back