So is it true?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if there was some pre requisite before ANYONE was allowed to sell reptiles. In Victoria all you have to do is pay your $800, get your enclosures checked (not for how they are set up, just for suitable locks) and away you go. This is probably the main reason most shops have no idea what they are doing when it comes to reptiles as they do not need to know to get a dealers license!!
dont get me wrong guys , i would love it if it happened and was controlled properly, stores like you guys and a few others a great , but i just dont want to see your average petshop with staff that have no clue selling reptiles , i had a slight .. lets say disagreement with one of my local petshops after the staff tried to tell me exotics like corns were legal then refused to acknowledge anything i said on the matter , it all started over me simply asking why they didnt have any books on native , the only reptiles we can legally keep and this was a large chain store , it just shows that the general public dont have a clue

From what I have been told......it was supposed to be done on the quiet. And as you know...some cannot keep their big mouths shut, apparently pet shops were bombarding the OEH offices about getting a licence to sell etc. So the minister said stuff it, it can wait till next year. Monday's meeting has been cancelled.
WOW! Pretty lame excuse for delaying it till next year! Bureaucrats at their best once again.

The sellers will be required to hold a Fauna licence such as that held by shops that sell restricted birds. There are only a small number of these and those will most likely be the majority who will sell reptiles. Dont expect many pet shops to stock herps.

I don't think pet shops will quarantine as to do it properly and allow for some diseases incubation and symptoms to show they would need to hold them for 12 months and that won't happen

I don't think pet shops will quarantine as to do it properly and allow for some diseases incubation and symptoms to show they would need to hold them for 12 months and that won't happen
yes , but your putting them all in the same basket , whats to say there might not be a few people out there who have been in the hobby for years , have a large clean collection and want to start out a small reptile outlet like some already available there the people this could benefit and it could benefit the hobby as a whole but only if its done right and thats the part id worry about

That's what I would rather see some one with experience and knowledge better still breeder to open a shop to educate and sell reptiles and accessories, More so then the little pokie shops that you smell half way up the street before you open the door.

Imagine if snake ranch opened a shop :) You could go in, look around and get great advice if you needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back