so where do the crocs go??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whcasual79

Reaction score
I am curious to find out what crocodile owners do with their crocs when they are fully grown? Do u make an outdoor enclosures?? if so what measurements, etc...

ours aint that big yet... but we arent getting rid of him either. we will increse his enclosure to his needs and our safety as stipulated by our licence regulations.... here in vic anyway
our problem is he is male and will be huge in 15 years or so... larger than a female at that age anyway so he'll be in the back yard or shed

ah yea i remember reading that thread a while ago ... proper set up mate ... one of the best i seen so far ...

ours aint that big yet... but we arent getting rid of him either. we will increse his enclosure to his needs and our safety as stipulated by our licence regulations.... here in vic anyway
our problem is he is male and will be huge in 15 years or so... larger than a female at that age anyway so he'll be in the back yard or shed

I'll second that :)

Roy Pails keeps a massive one out in his backyard in a fully enclosed shed. It seems placid enough for when he's in there with it scrubbing the enclosure out.

I joked with him one day saying "do you often tell trouble makers at your BBQ's to go and settle themselves down in the outdoor spa?" :p

I have a year old freshie nearly half a meter long in a six foot tank. Will probably build a big floor enclosure with timber/glass full waterproofing, maybe 1000litres of water something like that and a land area.
Either that or i might false floor an entire spare bedroom, install some drainage plumbing, install a big pond and fake turf the rest of the floor a few hanging basking lights. Will probably insulate the room and install a big skylight to save heating costs.

I live in Adelaide and its not really feasible to put them outside since our winters get down to almost 0degrees some nights, which is no good for crocs. Heating would cost a small fortune over winter in an outdoor style pit.

bfg im looking forward to seeing the start and completion of that enclosure

I am curious to find out what crocodile owners do with their crocs when they are fully grown? Do u make an outdoor enclosures?? if so what measurements, etc...

You could always eat them and make a pair of boots ;)

Most reptile parks have outdoor croc setups, many seem similar to normal pools only with sloped edges to allow the croc to get out. Hopefully someone breeds heaps of the pygmy freshies and the laws are changed so we can keep them.

What is a pygmy freshie? I have never heard of such thing?

Also i wont have to upgrade the enclosure for another 2 or 3 years so ill worry about that then.
You would'nt believe the amount of times i have been asked 'What are you gonna do when it gets bigger', so i just tell them all now, that its going to be turned into a handbag and a pair of boots.

I think cris was inplying that he was hoping such a breed came up and was alowed to be kept all over aus

No, there is a form of Freshwater Crocodile from Bullo River Station that seems to reach considerably smaller sizes than regular Freshwater Crocodiles. Maximum size is approximately 1.5m and this is the same for captive bred juveniles that are fed on the same diet as regular Freshies.

Well, you learn something new everyday.
Anyways i think half the fun of owning a croc is how big they get. I cant wait for mine to be over a meter long. It will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back