SOFAR Expo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbral

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just saw that due to a lack of volunteers there won't be a SOFAR expo in Newcastle this year. It's a bit of a shame as it was always a great day, there's a comments section under the SOFAR 2015 expo page. If we managed to get enough volunteers I wonder if they would keep it going (Might be a little late.) unfortunately I work in the wine industry and at this time of year I can't commit to helping, bit of a lame excuse I know bit when fruits coming in I need to be there and sometimes we don't know until the day before.

Surely there are enough people interested in herps in the area that we could scrounge up a few volunteers for the day?

From what I've heard and read from members that's not at all true.
They had volunteers but the committee just didn't want to do it, they put a new committee in and they ended up standing down because of constant interference of the old committee.

From what I've heard and read from members that's not at all true.
They had volunteers but the committee just didn't want to do it, they put a new committee in and they ended up standing down because of constant interference of the old committee.
Not sure if it's true but I had heard the same a few days ago. I did notice the Displays and stands at the Expo were reducing over the last couple of years, maybe a dose of fresh blood might have managed to turn it around.

Every reptile club needs a dose of new blood. Upcoming young people with new ideas etc...after xx amount of years, committees burn out.

With SOFAR there was a real problem transforming the talkers into doers.To run the last few expos SOFAR had to turn to the fire brigade for volunteers, as all the SOFAR members had to work on the day. It is a question of priorities and the past committees gave up their own jobs and time to run the expo until they couldn't afford to do it any more. Even the new committee evaporated after a couple of months. It is symptomatic of society generally where everyone is concentrated on themselves rather than the community.

I haven't been to the Sofar meetings for quite some time now but I understand a shortage of volunteers was slowly shrinking down the Expo's viability. I never had any problems with the old committee myself, they were great to deal with but from what is being said they were interfering with the new committee and having trouble letting go of the reigns after they had stood down And that is why the new committee has thrown it's hands up in the air. Whatever the case is I hope that it resolves itself before the club ends up folding.

Newcastles loss is our gain i suppose, instead of SOFAR having an expo this year we are having 1 here in Port Macquarie on Sunday the 29th of March at Port Macquarie Panthers Peter Birch has also said he will be there so there should be some very nice Ants for sale on the day......................:) Ron

Attachments

• reptile expo flyer.doc
    348.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back