Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to the manager of a shop that supplies horse related merchandise just last week about this very subject and she assured me that they only advertise their snake repellents by word of mouth (I guess she hasn't seen the big sign outside her own shop) and they are selling like hot cakes with only one ever returned as faulty.
Apparently hers are the only ones that work properly though because all of the ebay, etc versions are rubbish. (Her words not mine.)

I live on a run down old farm and I have poultry so rodents are always a problem and the place is falling apart from age and strong winds so there is always somewhere for snakes to snuggle up into for a nap and to wait for something to wander past for it to strike at = my question is - "Is there something that can actually repel snakes?"
None of the commercial snake repellents have published any scientific tests that prove that they actually work. They do have a lot of Anecdotal evidence, however reliance on anecdotal evidence is often a sign of Pseudoscience, much like the fact I rub a mixture of molasses and turpentine on my letter box each week to keep the ostriches away. It must work as I haven't seen any near here for years.
Best way to "repel" snakes is to not attact them in the first place, ie: short grass, no hiding places and no food - but I suspect you already know that.

BTW - I would like to hang around and read a bit here and maybe ask a whole heap of questions along the way
Welcome.

Perhaps they could introduce a rebate scheme where those who buy them hand in their shovels to receive a reduction in price.

much like the fact I rub a mixture of molasses and turpentine on my letter box each week to keep the ostriches away. It must work as I haven't seen any near here for years. OMG = you use this Ostrich deterrant too!!!! and here was me thinking I was the only one that knew THIS 100% fool proof Ostrich deterrant!!!! :lol:

Best way to "repel" snakes is to not attact them in the first place, ie: short grass, no hiding places and no food - but I suspect you already know that.

Welcome.

Morning Fuscus and thank you for the welcome :D
I spoke with the Vet last night and gave him this thread’s link – he came in, he read, he will no longer be suggesting people look into buying these ‘things’ = one Vet down millions to go
have also sent this thread to people I know that have been considering wasting money on these things

As to “but I suspect you already know that” = yeah sure do – not only from a snake view point but from a fire point of view as well = working on cleaning this old ‘dump’ up = slow slow process – the previous owners obviously didn’t understand the meaning of “KEEP IT CLEAN AND CLEAR FOLKS” :evil: :rolleyes:

Again – thanks for the welcome :D

who ever created snake repellers is a complete charlatan

no = a money making genius = always target the gulible and you WILL make money - and as most are ****e scared of snakes :shock: :eek: :shock: = good marketing conn :(

Last edited:
We had a call from a woman recently in Queensland, told us she had several of the units, found both her dogs DEAD, one dead brown snake and another happily curled around the unit, she went on to say that four other residents in her area all have them and all have lost dogs since buying them!!!

For kerrist sake when will this conman stop....

After a friend and I did the rounds of quite a few saddlerly shops in Ipswich (Qld.) area this morning (looking for specific horse gear) ...I was surprised to see they are all selling this wonderful "snake repellent" thing

i mentioned to one shop keeper that the thing was a con and it did not work ... she looked amazed and unbeleiving at me as my friend backed up my exposure of the truth.

A fool and his money is soon parted I guess.

A Current Affair would love this con

I was thinking of getting one as decor for my snake's enclosure..

Here is a slight variation on the solar repeller scam.
After reading this on a Tasmanian website advertising snake traps (they also sell the solar snake repellers) I have come to the conclusion what they say about Tasmanians may be correct after all.

"Lay the trap on the ground and unzip, place some milk in a container in the centre of the trap. Now zip it closed and leave it well outside the area you are trying to protect, if you have electronic Snake repellers the Snake trap must be well outside the repellers range. The last thing you need is to attract snakes to your protected area. Snakes are attracted to milk so it should not be long before one comes along if you are in a high traffic area. Each end of the trap has a funnel shape that allows snakes in, while stopping them from escaping. Once you have the snake/s in the trap the tricky pat is now ahead of you. Time to read "What do I do now I have a snake" below"

I have shown friends how untrue the milk drinking theory is by placing milk and water in some of my enclosures and they choose the water every time.
On a side note I believe the trapping of snakes is illegal at least in Victoria even for lic. relocators

Here is a slight variation on the solar repeller scam.
After reading this on a Tasmanian website advertising snake traps (they also sell the solar snake repellers) I have come to the conclusion what they say about Tasmanians may be correct after all.

"Lay the trap on the ground and unzip, place some milk in a container in the centre of the trap. Now zip it closed and leave it well outside the area you are trying to protect, if you have electronic Snake repellers the Snake trap must be well outside the repellers range. The last thing you need is to attract snakes to your protected area. Snakes are attracted to milk so it should not be long before one comes along if you are in a high traffic area. Each end of the trap has a funnel shape that allows snakes in, while stopping them from escaping. Once you have the snake/s in the trap the tricky pat is now ahead of you. Time to read "What do I do now I have a snake" below"

I have shown friends how untrue the milk drinking theory is by placing milk and water in some of my enclosures and they choose the water every time.
On a side note I believe the trapping of snakes is illegal at least in Victoria even for lic. relocators

Any trap that needs to be unzipped should be given a wide berth. ;)

According to advert. the latest model of solar repeller also works on CANE TOADS.

My snakes like nothing better than a milkshake, so i can see how that would work :)

All traps for snakes are illegal, in NSW you can get a permit to use them under strict conditions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back