Some advice needed on a python for my boys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilesColey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am finally going to buy my boys the python they have been asking for. I have applied for a Cat 3 license. How long does this usually take to arrive?

I understand the Stimson or SW Carpet are the best bet for a first snake

I understand the SWCP grows a little bigger than the Stimson and is a bit more expensive?

I cant really decide between these 2, are there any other pros and cons that might make my decision easier.

I like the idea of the snake getting quite big, but cost is obviously also a factor

As you can see from my thread last year, I will eventually have quite a nice size enclosure (not finished) for the snake if that will influence your comments

https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/93645-Hi-everyone

Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot everyone

The stimsons python is an ideal beginners snake, as is any of the other Anteresia species. depending on the age of your children, a carpet python may be to much to handle. Some carpet pythons can be quite snappy as youngsters wich may turn them off handling. Carpets can also grip quite firmly wich also may turn them off handling.

in saying that I'd buy the swcp :)

Last edited:
Go for the stimmie, small and easy to handle, renowned for their easy going temperament, and you may even save some money with feed items as most people only need to feed with mice

Thanks for the info

I was swinging towards the SWCP as well, even though the Stimmie is smaller and probably easier to handle

My boys are 8 and 13 and love reptiles and I don't think getting nipped on occasion will turn them off at all, especially as I will get a hatchie so they will be used to it by the time it gets old enough to really grip firmly, the boys will also be older by then

I guess it comes down to price as well, can anyone recommend a good place to start when buying a SWCP hatchling? I am in the Yanchep/Two Rocks area of Perth.

Any recommendations on sex? Male..Female?

Is it fine to start off in a little plastic storage container, any suggestions on size and what I'll need in there to start? I just want to make sure everything is bought before getting the python

What ages do the Stimson and SWCP get to in general? IS it about the same for both snakes?

Thanks again

Yep, click clack with a heat cord covering 1/3 of the bottom.. i used a egg 6pack as the hide and had a few sicks from corner to corner.. never had a thermostat on the tub

Thanks for the info

I was swinging towards the SWCP as well, even though the Stimmie is smaller and probably easier to handle

My boys are 8 and 13 and love reptiles and I don't think getting nipped on occasion will turn them off at all, especially as I will get a hatchie so they will be used to it by the time it gets old enough to really grip firmly, the boys will also be older by then

being bitten never turned me off snakes when I was younger, just taught me to have respect for them.

I guess it comes down to price as well, can anyone recommend a good place to start when buying a SWCP hatchling? I am in the Yanchep/Two Rocks area of Perth.

Any recommendations on sex? Male..Female?

Doesn't really matter, a female will generally be heavier than a male once mature.

Is it fine to start off in a little plastic storage container, any suggestions on size and what I'll need in there to start? I just want to make sure everything is bought before getting the python

yes, you'll need the tub, water bowl, a hide, a branch to perch on and aid shedding. A heat source (heat mats are good for plastic tubs), thermostat, and thermometer (preferably infrared), News paper to line the tub. And of course a food supply.

What ages do the Stimson and SWCP get to in general? IS it about the same for both snakes?

both species can live for over 20 years.

Thanks again
a thermostat is a good idea if your starting out, a python overheated in an escape proof enclosure never ends well.

Last edited:
Thanks Alexbee, appreciate the advice

Thanks Dr-Zoidberg, any advice on the best thermostat to get and what size click clack as well if I got a SWCP

Any recommended reptile stores in Perth to get what I need?

If you can post links on here, my email is [email protected]

Thanks again

Eco-tech and habistat are the better choice in my opinion, I have used cheap ones off ebay with success but a better quality appliance is a safer option.

a tub about 40cm long, 20cm wide and 20-40cm in height would be ok to start off with, it will grow out of it in a year or less. I prefer the tub to be at least 2/3 of the hatchies length, in length width and height.

Last edited:
Fantastic thanks for that

So its not good to get a tub that is too big? They like feeling snug and secure when babies. Is that right?

I will stick to something around 40cm like you said

Where is the best place to buy a thermostat online? Is there a particular model I will need?

Fantastic thanks for that

So its not good to get a tub that is too big? They like feeling snug and secure when babies. Is that right?

Juvenile snakes can be stressed in to big of an enclosure, and when there visible from all directions. In saying that most snakes at least triple in size in there first year so will out grow to small of an enclosure quickly but tubs are cheap as chips.

I will stick to something around 40cm like you said

Where is the best place to buy a thermostat online? Is there a particular model I will need?

check out ebay or google the brand and a few suppliers will come up to compare prices. A basic model will do.

I recently purchased an 8 month old dajarra/mt isa carpet from Kel Worley a seller on here Kel told me they have a good temper And I can't complain she is already settled and smashing pinky rats is still cage defensive but a puppy when outside her enclosure not only that they are a small growing form up to 1.3m only. Kel was easy to deal with and would offer any help/advice you needed

I think you will find the op is in WA and therefore can only get natives to her state. It also means she cannot import any pythons to her state either.

The manner in which you post info and comments Dr Zoidberg is strongly reminiscent of Bluetongue1.

Yes, Im based in Perth so will need find someone here, thanks for the advice

Couple more things from the pros please

Is a hatchling called that up to a certain age, I am just looking around and I see some are 3 months, 6 months, 9 months old etc...when does a hatchling stop becoming a hatchling? What the age limit when hatchlings can be sold? Just want to make sure Im doing the right thing.

What is the difference between a SW carpet and a coastal carpet python? Just in regards to size, handling, license etc

Hi Giles.

They are referred to as hatchlings until they are about 12 months old then they are referred to as a yearling, then sub adult and then adult at around 3 years.

The best time to purchase one is after it has commenced feeding regularly. This can be at 3 months, 6 months or whatever depending on the snake. Just make sure that you purchase it from a reputable person with good husbandry traits.

SW carpets grow to a similar size to Coastals and are a good beginner's snake. I'm not sure about the laws in WA but it's my understanding that you can't import Coastals. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (Except for a slight difference in the DNA they are both the same snake and just come from a different parts of the continent).

Dr Zoidberg,

Is that a good thing, or a bad?

Nothing really meant by it. I thought you may have been familiar with his posts and would have got a laugh out of it. Obviously from observing your joining date you mightn't be familiar with his mannerism of posting.

It's just that a few of my associates and myself often refer to Bluetongue1 as Dr Zoidberg because like the character, he appears desperate to be accepted and is of the misguided delusion that he is well regarded by all as a bit of an expert in all fields. He has a habit of answering questions in a diatribe of excess but unfortunately for him it's obvious to anyone that has been in the game for a while, knows how to access info on the net and has half a brain that he appears to have very little practical, hands on experience with keeping herps or field work and the information he posts (and not just herp related) is information obtained from web searches and he posts as if he's the all knowing, educated intellect without reference to where he has obtained the info.

He has been challenged on his practical experience on several occasions but never gives a direct answer, choosing to throw the ball back into the oppositions court.

Cheers to both of you,

George.

Couple more things from the pros please

Is a hatchling called that up to a certain age, I am just looking around and I see some are 3 months, 6 months, 9 months old etc...when does a hatchling stop becoming a hatchling? What the age limit when hatchlings can be sold? Just want to make sure Im doing the right thing.

in my opinion, it's a hatchling from the moment it hatches, until it sheds. Then I'd call it a juvenile. Others call it a hatchling until it reaches a year in age, then it'd be a yearling. As far as I know, a snake can be sold/bought as soon as it's born/hatched. Most breeders won't sell a snake until it's feeding and shedding regularly.

What is the difference between a SW carpet and a coastal carpet python? Just in regards to size, handling, license etc

The coastal carpets attain a bigger size. There is no difference in handling as it comes down to whether or not the snake will adapt to being handled or chooses to bite you at every opportunity. There is no difference in licensing here in QLD, as for the other states I couldn't tell you, your best off contacting the wildlife authority in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back