Some changes coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A few folks have been in touch regarding the APS forum and its setup and offered some constructive criticism around what I can do to improve the site and its setup with one of the main points being that the site just isn't mobile. I did look into Tapatalk a fair bit and it has its merits but is still a clunky bit of kit that needs a bit of work and isn't fit for purpose at the moment.

With that in mind I have investigated and am looking at switching from the current forum software, VBulletin, to Xenforo which is similar but has quite a few improvements and from what I have read, responds faster and is more streamline that VBulletin. If the change goes ahead, the look and feel of APS should only change slightly but I will be doing some significant testing on the test site before I actually proceed with upgrading the main site and will keep you informed with times and schedules.

From what I have played with and seen, Xenforo will bring with it
  • Much easier way to upload photos on PC and Mobile Devices.
  • Faster page loading times
  • Site will be flexible to be used across multiple mobile devices as well as computers without looking like a different site.
  • Less plug ins that are confusing to use
  • Easier site Navigation

In that though, does anyone have any thoughts, queries, ideas or a wish list for the changes or any feedback from folks who have used Xenforo before?

Sounds good it's a pain in the rrrrr's to load pics off a phone

:) keep up the good work.

I wonder if it's possible set up a member updateable database that all can view where we can indicate the species held and if we have breeding program (even if it's just a M-F breeding pair) so other members will be more easily able to find likely breeders when looking new reptiles to add to their collection.

format might look like :
member , general location (not detailed ie Maitland NSW) , species held , species being breed

Last edited:
Agree with Scott. It's hard enough to load a photo on my laptop (or maybe that's just me?).

Apologies if anyone has experienced any short outages (no more than 2 mins), I have just been backing up and redoing some test cases.

I find the print very small on aps is there any way I can make it larger without changing my computer settings

I find the print very small on aps is there any way I can make it larger without changing my computer settings

I will look into it mate, is it just on your PC you have the issue?

I haven't forgotten about this all, new job has been a bit more in depth than anticipated.
[MENTION=33334]rockethead[/MENTION] with the font I think its either a PC setting or the way APS renders in the Vbulletin page. If its a VBulletin thing, hopefully the upgrade will help

I think xenforo will be fantastic.
A beloved parrot forum i frequented is on this system after also transitioning from vbulletin. It is definitely a much smoother experience.

Very exciting.

It just looks cleaner, functions faster, and better renders for mobile like you say.
I feel it can also be made more interactive for members, too (as the parrot forum is).

Apologies in advance for the changes and interruptions coming. Hopefully the disruption is minimal

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but for some reason avatar pictures always seem to show up pixelated on this site. Anyone know why?

Hmm, doesn't happen with me. Could you share a screenshot?

Hmm, doesn't happen with me. Could you share a screenshot?

There's not much of a difference, just seems to go a little blurry.

AVAoriginal.jpg

Original image.

apsavapixel.JPG

When uploaded as an avatar.

Ah ok. That generally happens because of the automatic sizing that goes on due to large images and limits on avatar sizes

Ok so things are in place now but still being fine tuned. Could you please let me know anything you find that may need fixing.

Good to see that the site is back online again. It's going to take some time getting used to the new layout. What are these points and trophies for? It also seems that all my likes are gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back