Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice baxtor, pair? Don't know what mine are, got "mum" here boarding at the moment & has been mated on a lot of occasions so fingers crossed she's gravid.

Think so Nigel, haven't been probed but going by tail shape I reckon silver is a definite female and gold is a male.

I took these this morning :) In the flesh the variation is more striking than in the pictures, but it'll still come across. I took about eight into the sun to show someone the other day, even I was amazed to see how different they all were from each other.

As I said a few days ago, this season is so exciting because I've been able to choose which animals to pair up rather than just putting the few adults I had together. The big pale girl at the bottom of all these pictures is gravid, I paired her with a pale male (I think I put pictures of him up maybe a year or so ago in this thread). When people see them in the flesh that pale girl is very popular, and I really like her too, but overall I think I most like the really yellow and orange ones. They're all pretty cool!

Gravid pale girl, dark red girl, and a, um, yellowish? male. The big pale girl is pretty decent sized Adder. An aunty of the original albinoes is now over 1m in length, and it looks like some of the albinoes will end up around that size too!

SdajiAlbinoAddersEarly2012.jpg

Here are the same animals with a het for comparison. It's late in the season but the male actually got excited about being in with a few girls and started courting them :lol: The big girl is already gravid and I'm not wanting babies from the other two this season, so I had to separate them pretty quickly, just in case :lol:

SdajiAlbinoAdderGroup2012.jpg

Sdajialbinogroupwhereisthepancakemixyoubastard.jpg

Same pale girl with some young males (two on the right) and a young female (on the left - coming up for a slough, she's a stunner when not sloughing).

SdajialbinoyumyumcandycustardtoffeevanillasnakesFeb2012.jpg

sdaji, i am looking to focus and get started on adders. Do you have any pics of set ups at al??

sdaji, i am looking to focus and get started on adders. Do you have any pics of set ups at al??

No pictures, but my Adders are kept in very basic setups. All are in plastic tubs. Babies in very small ones, large adults in Starmaid tubs, and things in between go in tubs of size in between. Paper towel substrate for babies, slightly moistened every few days, nothing else (no, no water bowl). After a year or two they get Breeders Choice substrate and a water bowl. The tubs go in racks. Very basic, very easy, works well.

Oh, and I don't recommend copying my method of keeping babies. Not that I think it's bad, but it's a bit unusual (especially the bit about not having a water bowl) and if you have trouble after I recommend it I'll get blamed :p Go with whatever someone else says :p

Adders are awesome (even non albino ones), they're very easy and convenient to look after. Great choice, good luck! :)

No pictures, but my Adders are kept in very basic setups. All are in plastic tubs. Babies in very small ones, large adults in Starmaid tubs, and things in between go in tubs of size in between. Paper towel substrate for babies, slightly moistened every few days, nothing else (no, no water bowl). After a year or two they get Breeders Choice substrate and a water bowl. The tubs go in racks. Very basic, very easy, works well.

Oh, and I don't recommend copying my method of keeping babies. Not that I think it's bad, but it's a bit unusual (especially the bit about not having a water bowl) and if you have trouble after I recommend it I'll get blamed :p Go with whatever someone else says :p

Adders are awesome (even non albino ones), they're very easy and convenient to look after. Great choice, good luck! :)

hey just curious, how often do you offer water?

Yes my favourite breed of snake. After spending time relocating them from the wild previously and now finally convincing the wife to let me keep my own elapids... Thats the plan, adders and aonly adders, to begin with. Thanks for your advice and help.

hey just curious, how often do you offer water?

I pour a bit of water in, the paper towel gets moist and I end up with a bit of condensation on the sides. I then leave it until the water dries up, and within a day or two pour more water in.

I pour a bit of water in, the paper towel gets moist and I end up with a bit of condensation on the sides. I then leave it until the water dries up, and within a day or two pour more water in.

I have water bowls but have never caught them drinking, yet if I place their heads in the bowl they drink like they have never had water for a long time-go figure.

Just an alternative view, I always supply fresh water in shallow bowls to all my adders of any size. Over the years I've seen Dajarras, Common (SA and NSW forms), Deserts, Barkly's, and Northerns all drink just like any other snake species - particularly after it has been replaced and is fresh. Not sure where the "adders don't drink standing water" comes from. I must get around to doing some video of it.

Just an alternative view, I always supply fresh water in shallow bowls to all my adders of any size. Over the years I've seen Dajarras, Common (SA and NSW forms), Deserts, Barkly's, and Northerns all drink just like any other snake species - particularly after it has been replaced and is fresh. Not sure where the "adders don't drink standing water" comes from. I must get around to doing some video of it.

They certainly do drink standing water, I don't think anyone has said otherwise. I used to keep my youngsters with little water bowls rather than moist substrate, and I still keep my adults with water bowls and dry substrate. I don't really know why, but for me the babies seem to do better without a water bowl. I wouldn't ever suggest to anyone else that taking the water bowl away is a good idea though.

Adders don't move around as much as just about any other Australian snake, so they won't wander over and drink out of a bowl as often, but if they get thirsty enough they'll do it. I've waited until my large Adders are settled then put a piece of string across them or a bit of flour so I tell when they've moved. Sometimes they won't move for over a month if I don't feed or disturb them. Obviously I'm not suggesting you don't need to give them water more than once per month, but it's interesting that sometimes they won't bother going over to get it for that long. If you sprinkle water around them they'll often have a drink even though they wouldn't have bothered for another few weeks if it meant crawling all the way to the water bowl! :lol: Lazy slugs :lol:

Adders don't move around as much as just about any other Australian snake...

They certainly don't. A sit and wait predator par excellance. A study over 20 years ago of a radio telemetered death adder in SA showed that it stayed under the one shrub for over six weeks without moving. They'll move pretty quickly when you try to pat them though.....:shock:

You are forgetting dew John they don't have to move to get a drink in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back