Some ID help...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Not having any ID books with me at the moment, I'm a little baffled by three species.

I'm by no-means an expert identifier of Skinks or Elapids so if anyone can confirm what they are, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• P5080174.JPG
    P5080174.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 143
  • P6050087.JPG
    P6050087.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 179
  • P6050094.JPG
    P6050094.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 145
nice finds mate!
not too good with elapids but could it be a parasuta species?

I think you're right, when I saw it, I instantly thought Parasuta nigriceps but I'm not sure.

I also found this Parasuta spectabilis spectabilis.

Attachments

• P6040067.JPG
    P6040067.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 91
The elapid is a Parasuta nigriceps
Damn, beat me to it! I let the post sit too long without posting it.

yeah i thought nigriceps aswell but im not confident with elapids so i didnt say it
the first skink looks like a lerista species btw
where did you find them?

Lerista bougainvilii, Parasuta nigriceps, Cryptoblepharus pulcher. Not 100% on any.

I was thinking Lerista bougainvilli or dorsalis, Parasuta nigriceps and Cryptoblepharus pannosus?

Probably way off but hence the reason for this thread. Found on my property in the Barossa Valley in SA.

Yeah I would go with the L.bouganvilli and P.nigriceps. Where was the Crypto if you are luck it will be a specis without ovelap/.

Rocket,
Congratulations on providing good quality photos that can actually be used to provide a positive ID!

As Steve pointed out, the Lerista has definitely got to be bougainvillii due to the number of digits. The elapid and snake-eyed skink you correctly identified as P.nigriceps and C. pannosus. C. pulcher has not been collected from Adelaide or the surrounding region but it is known from the Yorke Penisula and further west.

Blue

Thanks GeckPhotographer and Bluetongue1,
The one thing I've noticed about the C.pannosus is they're permanent residency. These exact two have lived within the brick tank-stand for at minimum, one year (based on my observations). Does anyone know if they live colonally or is this just a case of two living in the same area? They are always there, regardless of the weather.

Cheers

G'day Rocket,

Interesting find with regards to the Parasuta - I lived in the Barossa for two years and herped it with much teenage enthusiasm, but never found them. I've seen them in multiple other places. Were you in the heart of the Barossa, or one of the outlying townships?

Cheers

Outlying townships Jonno, just outside of Truro where the Barossa meets the Riverland.

did you get anymore pictures of the P.nigriceps ??? they look much nicer from other angles

Yeah I did but as I use a cheap $300 digital point and shoot, they aren't much better than the photo supplied. The other photos are of the snake in the exact same position as it did not move at all whilst I photographed it.

Anyway, here they are:

Attachments

• P6050093.JPG
    P6050093.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P6050086.JPG
    P6050086.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back