Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine the strangest looking carpet and I'll bet that at some stage one very similar fed a kookaburra.

Last edited:
So QLD morelias
im naive ???
i wonder what you are ?? ,

Last time i looked around i cant find any Co Dom traits being produced in oz legally .

Last edited:
Hi Roger,

No offence but you have been posting this theory of yours on a few forums and everytime i read it i just shook my head, like what gordo said :
"I don't know that we can say things like that with any real certainty, i know you hold out the possibility of future morphs but there are carpet morphs in Australian collections that are yet to be bred from"
What make you think that you can make such statement, what sort of research can back you up with comments as such?

and because someone don't agree you threathened to destroy them:lol:

Leigh

Leigh
its only a my belief
i could be wrong ? sure.
if we do have Co dom traits turn up thats great
But please dont expect me to accept overseas Co Dom traits as pure australian genetics.

Last edited:
Roger,

I really think you need to settle down a bit. You're not just starting dramas with people who're doing the wrong thing, you're attacking the breeding ethics of people trying to make the same point you are. Shame really, because what's needed to help slow (if not stop) jag breeding is more of a unified stance.

Roger,

I don't expect you to accept overseas Co Dom traits as pure australian genetics as much as i dont accept you to be making your past statement especially on a few forums. there's a lot of newbies here that reads and learn and i just don't think it's fair to promote your "BELIEF"
with such certainty it is not right. no one's really contradict you in the past which makes your thery looks "RIGHT". we are not talking about overseas co dom traits but australian animals.

Leigh

the theory about Co dom traits being a non native issue is up for grabs,
Sorry if i offended anyone ,

Last edited:
[edited] Not worth the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley please show me the super form of hypo bredli,
you are seriously funny old mate
TRUE Co dom traits produce super forms ,
like jags produce leucistics

Er.. okay, I'll say it again. What about melanistic blue tongueds? They're co-dominant.

So there are visual hets for hypermelanism , but are there also non visable hets ?
i was going to ask John W this but i have not gotton around to it ,
Also read carefully Co Dom traits produce super forms,
the super form is drastically different to the Co Dom trait carrior ,
All thats happening in the visable hets in melanistic blue tongues is that the true form is expressed , a hypermelantistic blue tongue.
I suspect you can have non visable hets also for hypermelanism and visual hets also,
but only John W could answer this ?

i could be wrong

Last edited:
I don't think you have a very good grasp on what a co-dominant trait is. Stop thinking 'super form', start thinking 'visual hets'. If it has visual hets, it's generally co-dominant.

You're using a few examples that have clear 'super forms'. Start thinking outside the box. Look at rex rats, for example. A rex rat has fur that is sort of curly, a double rex has fur that is curlier. For the human example of a co-dominant trait, curly hair. You could say a "normal" human has straight hair, a "het" human has wavy hair, and a double het, or "super" has curly hair.

eta: this is from Snake Ranch:
http://www.snakeranchnews.com.au/pages/news.cfm?naction=news2
"[FONT=Arial,Garamond]Hypermelanism, at least in this instance, appears to defy the usual dominant/recessive inheritance rules in that the heterozygotes express an abnormal, possibly intermediate colouration, suggesting a 'co-dominant' inheritance mechanism. Snake Ranch keeper Kevin Smith is holding the founder female in his left hand, and one of the mature heterozygotes she produced in late 2002 in his right."
"
[/FONT]Interestingly, upon arrival, the 'het for black' young were not entirely normal in appearance as would be predicted in the usual 'dominant/recessive' genetics model. All were quite dark at birth, and during the months to follow became progressively darker, finishing up as exceptionally dark bluetongues - no doubt qualifying for the description of 'melanistic'. This abnormal colouration for the hets suggests that the genetic control of the condition of 'hypermelanism' (in this case, anyway) may reflect the interaction of 'co-dominant' genes."
[FONT=Arial,Garamond][/FONT]

Gordon
Im talking about the mode of inheritance ?
Not that we will never find any more wild morphs .
The hypermelanistic darwins will be a recessive mode of inheritance ,
Roger

Roger i am talking about the mode of inheritance too. We simply don't know what the mode of inheritance is for the melanistic carpets, i am speculating and it is nothing more than an idea that the melanistic darwins are a super form. And i am saying that we have morphs in the hobby, both confirmed and rumoured, that are yet to be bred from and to say things like this:

Well we dont have true Co dom traits in the wild now and never will

Is absolutely nothing more than speculation and i think you should acknowledge that.

BTW i never get offended :lol:

Mammal and reptile genetics are totally different
OK , if striped patterns in australian pythons are Co Dom,
Then how come banded jungles can produce semi striped or striped jungle
the only way is if both were hets for some striping
look at all the other overseas reptile Co Dom traits the super form if very different to the Co Dom

Last edited:
I also think the melanistic carpets will be co-dominant. The one I've seen (that picture floating around) shows a very dark brown (almost black) carpet, like the very dark brown (almost black) blue tongueds. But yeah, time will tell.

[edited] Not worth the hassle.

Hi Boa,

I know what you mean;) but if we keep thinking it's not worth the hassle we will just see false promotion and everyone will be reading statements that does not have any concrete evidence to back it up............at least I got to read what you wrote before you edited.

Leigh

Mammal and reptile genetics are totally different dumbo

Hahaha, dumbo? You're mature, I'll be sure to respect your opinion :lol:

I was using an example to show you how co-dominant traits work, not saying that snakes have curly hair. Are you saying that reptiles don't follow Mendelian genetics like mammals?

If you can't understand that melanistic blue tongueds are co-dominant because they don't produce super tigers or leucistics, then you're not worth arguing with, and no peer reviewed journal will accept your writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back