sould exotics be legallised?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahbell

Reaction score
firstly im not trying to start an argument but try to help newer members understand the exotic thing

heres my opinion

yes they should be legallised because most people already own exotic animals these include:
dogs
cats
fish
birds
horses
rabbits
genuine pigs
ferrets
cows and all other live stock

as for IBD it is already here and if zoos and parks can import reptiles why cant we?

this is just my personal opinion and i respect everyone elses

It's a shame we lost the old forum.
There was a long debate on this topic some poll results, maybe some supporting articles etc....
I remember the most informed answer I saw was from Paul (pythonss), for the negative of course. I'm with him on this one.
Perhaps Paul could post again? That old post of his provided the best response I've seen to this old question.

The Can of worms is opening

Hi SB

all the animals you mentioned were imported long before anyone had any idea of their impact on Aussie wildlife. It's never too late to start doing things right (whatever that means). I know that if I started finding some kind of exotic snake outcompeting the Diamonds or RBBS on my property I would be really P*ssed off not matter how nice they were. It's easy to stuff things up and I live where I live 'cos I like the way it is. So my vote is they should never be legal - well not until there is a foolproof way of ensuring that they cannot breed - That reminds me of Jurassic Park. 8)

Oh boy. Here we go again. :shock: How about the poll again, because if I remember correctly, more people voted yes they should be than no. I think for the time being, I'll sit this one out though. 8)

Exotic dancers? Should definately be legalised! :lol:

My answer to the question originally posted is a resounding NO.

Just as a point of interest to Magpie and his exotic dancers: I got a call from a business the other day where they had lost a very large, very expensive fish and they wanted me to check out their water and setup for them. After about half an hour on the phone discussing symptoms and the like we decided that the death was due to parasytes and that I would go to check out their setup for them as requested. Here's the interesting bit cos when I got the address etc from them it turned out to be a brothel!!! Surprising how long those water tests can take Magpie :) :twisted:

I'm a firm believer of no. We've already had all the resons outlined in past threads, but I thought I should just let my opinion be known.

Sarahbell - as for zoos importing exotics, and not worrying about IBD, their quarantine is very good and closely monitered. That would not happen in private collections. I believe that part of their quarantine area is considered as good as the official government quarantine by authorities.

If they were legal, there would be a lot more of them than there are now. They would escape, be released/dumped, and doubtless, some species would thrive. Where one species rises, another falls. I can't see any argument for upsetting the natural ecosystem like that.

God knows Australia has had it's fair share of problems with imported animals. I wouldn't want to start any others.

There are a lot of reasons against it, good, legitimate reasons. The only pro I have heard any one voice is "we want some". Not a good enough reason to endanger Australia's natives and natural ecosystems, sorry.

I hope you got paid cash and not with a store credit afrikaan! :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back